Odisha kidnapping will have no impact on tourism: SahayMarch 20th, 2012 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 20 (IANS) Union Tourism Minister Subadh Kant Sahay Tuesday said the abduction of two Italian nationals by Maoists in Odisha will not have any adverse impact on tourism in the country.
Describing the crisis as a very sensitive issue, Sahay, however, emphasized the need to build an inter-state coordination mechanism among the Maoist insurgency-affected states to ensure safe tourism.
“No abduction is made from any tourist destination. Therefore, how can one conclude that tourist spots are unsafe,” Sahay told reporters here during a visit.
The Italians, Bosusco Paolo and Claudio Colangelo, were abducted on the morning of March 14 from the state’s communally sensitive Kandhamal district, over 200 km from here.
The Maoists, who want the government to fulfill 13 demands, have given a deadline of Tuesday evening for their release and named three interlocutors to begin a dialogue with the Odisha government.
- Odisha does not want foreigners in Maoist-affected areas - May 03, 2012
- 'Can't be blackmailed on Odisha crisis' - Apr 02, 2012
- Odisha begins dialogue to secure release of Italians - Mar 22, 2012
- Italians' abduction a reminder of internal security challenge: PM - Mar 20, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Odisha to release 27 prisoners (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Efforts intensified to secure release of Odisha hostages - Mar 26, 2012
- Abduction crisis deepens, interlocutor refuses to mediate - Mar 20, 2012
- Abduction crisis: Maoists name interlocutors, extends deadline (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Maoists extend deadline, offer other mediators (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Odisha to decide on rescuing hostages: Chidambaram - Mar 31, 2012
- Italian hostages crisis: Rebel leader's presence issue resolved, say officials (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- Maoists release one abducted Italian (Lead) - Mar 25, 2012
- Odisha hostage crisis: Talks suspended over legislator's abduction (Lead) - Mar 24, 2012
- Italians' abduction grim reminder of security threat: PM (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Italian hostage crisis: Interlocutors want presence of jailed Maoist leader - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: abducted, abduction, adverse impact, bhubaneswar, claudio colangelo, coordination mechanism, inter state, interlocutors, italian nationals, italians, kant, maoist, maoists, sahay, sensitive issue, state coordination, tourism minister, tourist destination, tourist spots, tuesday evening