Odisha entrepreneur conferred honorary doctorate in TaiwanJune 11th, 2012 - 3:52 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 11 (IANS) Odisha’s well-known social entrepreneur Achyuta Samanta has been conferred an honorary doctorate by a university in Taiwan, said his office here Monday.
The National Formosa University, considered one of the best public universities of Taiwan, conferred the Degree of Doctorate (Honoris Causa) on Samanta at its annual convocation ceremony June 9.
The university honour came in recognition to Samanta’s outstanding contribution towards the society and for his initiative to educate the underprivileged tribal children, Samanta’s office here said in a statement.
Samanta is the founder of KIIT (Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology) - a group of professional institutes, KIIT University and KISS (Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences).
Located in Bhubaneswar, KISS is home to more than 16,000 tribal children who receive free educational and vocational training.
Samanta is member of several important government committees in India, including the University Grants Commission (UGC).
The National Formosa University confers the honour usually on world personalities, the release said.
- Odisha takes 'rath' route to popularise science congress - Nov 07, 2011
- India's largest science event kicks off Tuesday - Jan 02, 2012
- PAU to confer honorary degree on Tajikistan president - Aug 27, 2012
- What happened to PM's honorary degree? - Jul 28, 2011
- IGNOU to honour Dalai Lama - Aug 25, 2011
- Dalai Lama to inaugurate IGNOU's Tibetan study centre - Aug 30, 2011
- PM confers honorary doctorate on Azim Premji - Aug 18, 2012
- Kidney patient dies as security officials prevent his entry into hospital for PM's visit - Nov 03, 2009
- Tripura varsity confers honorary doctorate on Hasina - Jan 12, 2012
- NALCO to sponsor tribal kids' education - Sep 07, 2011
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- Jamia to confer Doctor of Letters degree to Dalai Lama - Nov 22, 2010
- 99th Indian Science Congress to focus on women, missiles (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Sand artist Pattnaik conferred honorary doctorate - May 02, 2012
- Sri Sri gets Paraguay's highest civilian award - Sep 14, 2012
Tags: bhubaneswar, convocation ceremony, formosa, government committees, honorary doctorate, honour, initiative, institute of social sciences, kalinga institute of industrial technology, kiit university, odisha, professional institutes, public universities, samanta, social entrepreneur, taiwan, ugc, university grants commission, vocational training, world personalities