Obama’s first trade mission to India is on solar powerMarch 23rd, 2009 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 23 (IANS) The new administration of US President Barack Obama has sent its first trade mission to India, and it’s on solar energy. “It shows how energy is becoming the focal point in the US-India relationship,” a US government official said here Monday.
William Zarit, deputy assistant secretary of commerce for international operations in the US government, and the leader of the mission, also said “a new emphasis on solar and (other) renewable energy technologies is taking that relationship to new heights”.
Apart from bureaucrats, the mission has representatives from 14 US companies. It started its work Monday by meeting Indian policymakers, industry groups and potential partners, Zarit told reporters.
In the next two days, the delegates will travel to Rajasthan and Gujarat. Carmine D’Aloisi, minister-counsellor for commercial affairs at the US embassy here, described the two states as the “Saudi Arabia of solar energy”.
These two states were ahead of others in seeking proposals to develop solar power, D’Aloisi said, adding that the US firms were looking at investments, licensing of technologies and export of equipment.
Potential Indian partners seeking financing in these tough times can use a loan guarantee from the US Export-Import Bank, which has got a special 15-year loan scheme for renewable energy development, said Diane G. Farrell, member of the bank’s board of directors.
- US Ex-Im Bank director joins India-US trade body - Jul 28, 2011
- US loans for Indian firms making solar facilities in Rajasthan - Jul 19, 2012
- Abound Solar, Solarsis commission plant in Andhra - Jan 16, 2012
- US Exim bank to step up financing of Indian projects - Jul 18, 2011
- US urges India to open up solar energy market - Nov 09, 2011
- Reliance Power to buy equipment from First Solar - Sep 07, 2011
- Clinton asks India to lower trade barriers - Jul 19, 2011
- US, India setting up $125 mn clean energy centre - Apr 14, 2012
- New US envoy presents credentials to Rajapaksa - Sep 14, 2012
- Aparna Doshi named co-chair of US-India Business Council solar task force - Sep 13, 2010
- As China dumps in India's solar market, domestic industry shrivels (Business Feature) - May 06, 2012
- ADB to give 150 million dollars as credit to scale up India's solar power sector - Apr 19, 2011
- Top US firms embark on sales mission to India - Jan 14, 2011
- US, India believe clean energy future makes clear economic sense - Jan 28, 2011
- US high-tech team to promote trade with India - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: aloisi, barack obama, commercial affairs, deputy assistant secretary, export import bank, india relationship, indian partners, industry groups, international operations, loan guarantee, loan scheme, minister counsellor, new administration, potential partners, renewable energy development, renewable energy technologies, s board, secretary of commerce, solar power, zarit