Obama vows US won’t defaultJuly 12th, 2011 - 11:15 am ICT by IANS
Washington, July 12 (IANS/EFE) President Barack Obama has said that the US will not fail to pay its debts and urged both Republicans and his fellow Democrats to pay the political price of reaching an agreement on deficit reduction in order to raise the debt ceiling before Aug 2.
Obama told a press conference at the White House that there will be a meeting Monday and “every single day until we get this thing resolved”.
The president said that he will keep pushing for “the biggest deal possible” to attain a deficit reduction of some $4 trillion over the next decade, something the Republicans reject because it would entail tax increases.
The Department of the Treasury has said that the US will exceed Aug 2 the debt ceiling of $14.29 trillion authorised by Congress.
“I’ve been hearing from my Republican friends for quite some time that it is a moral imperative for us to tackle our debt and our deficits in a serious way,” Obama said Monday.
Reaching agreement will require compromise from both sides, he said, acknowledging that some Democrats object to his willingness to discuss changes to entitlement programmes such as Social Security and Medicare.
“There is, frankly, resistance on my side to do anything on entitlements. There is strong resistance on the Republican side to do anything on revenues. But if each side takes a maximalist position, if each side wants 100 percent of what its ideological predispositions are, then we can’t get anything done,” the president said.
- Obama touts possible bipartisan pact on debt limit - Jul 20, 2011
- Congress must act now on debt limit: Top US official - Jul 15, 2011
- Failure to raise debt limit could trigger slump: Obama - Jul 07, 2011
- Obama asks Congress to solve debt crisis - Jul 24, 2011
- Obama demands Congress produce `serious' plan for debt - Jul 16, 2011
- Congress leaders scramble to sell debt deal (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Obama cuts a debt deal with Congress (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Republicans reject tax breaks cut for wealthy - Sep 13, 2011
- Obama signs deal to avoid catastrophic US default (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- Top Republican Congressman confident of deficit deal - Oct 16, 2011
- US President gives a 36-hr 'debt deficit' deadline to the US Congress - Jul 18, 2011
- Deal reached with Republicans on raising debt ceiling: Obama - Aug 01, 2011
- Defiant Obama seeks new taxes on wealthy to cut debt - Sep 20, 2011
- US House passes historic debt deal (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Obama, congressional leaders announce deal to raise debt ceiling, cut spending - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: aug 2, authorised, barack obama, debt ceiling, debts, deficit reduction, department of the treasury, efe, fellow democrats, medicare, moral imperative, quite some time, republican friends, republican side, republicans, single day, social security and medicare, tax increases, trillion, willingness