Obama urges credit-card industry to end unfair practicesApril 24th, 2009 - 5:50 am ICT by IANS
Washington, April 24 (DPA) US President Barack Obama Thursday met leaders of the credit-card industry, urging them to end unfair practices that are raising costs on indebted consumers, while US lawmakers are considering a wider crackdown on the sector.
Obama said he hoped to create a new system that “eliminates some of the abuses” including sudden interest-rate hikes and late-payment fees, which have added to unmanageable debts for some US consumers.
“There has to be strong and reliable protections for consumers,” Obama said after a meeting with a dozen executives from US credit card firms and banks.
The credit-card industry has become embroiled in the wider financial crisis in the United States. Defaults on credit-card debt have more than tripled since the end of 2006.
A congressional panel Wednesday approved legislation clamping down on “unfair and deceptive” practices by credit-card companies. The measure would restrict penalties on cardholders and bar interest-rate increases without advance notice.
Nearly half of all US families owe money on their credit cards. The average balance in 2007 was $7,300, according to the Federal Reserve.
- Brazil credit-card interest rate tops 300 percent - Jul 18, 2012
- Obama asks Congress to solve debt crisis - Jul 24, 2011
- Shoppers Are Avoiding Credit Cards, Survey Reveals - Dec 16, 2010
- US always will be a triple-A country: Obama - Aug 09, 2011
- Top economic voices question US downgrade - Aug 08, 2011
- Credit card number falls as banks get cautious - Nov 17, 2011
- S&P; cuts Greek sovereign rating - Feb 28, 2012
- US avoids default; retains AAA rating for now - Aug 03, 2011
- Obama appoints consumer protection advocate - Sep 18, 2010
- President Obama announces nearly $1 trillion health care plan - Feb 22, 2010
- Subprime Credit Card Offers Are On The Rise Offers - Jan 13, 2011
- Obama signs credit card reform bill - May 23, 2009
- US lawyers' group warns of accumulated student loan debt - Mar 14, 2012
- Obama signs deal to avoid catastrophic US default (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- US stocks extend losses as relief over debt deal faded - Aug 02, 2011
Tags: advance notice, april 24, barack obama, cardholders, congressional panel, consumers, crackdown, credit card debt, credit cards, debts, deceptive practices, dozen executives, dpa, federal reserve, financial crisis, interest rate hikes, interest rate increases, lawmakers, sudden interest, unfair practices