Obama to focus on opening new markets for US in IndiaNovember 5th, 2010 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
By Arun Kumar
Washington, Nov 5 (IANS) President Barack Obama is leaving for India focused on opening on new markets for US products and creating jobs in America.
“I won’t be satisfied until everybody who is looking for a job can find one,” he said in a White House statement before taking off on a 10-day trip to Asia, with the first stop in Mumbai.
Obama called Friday’s jobs report “encouraging news”, including 10 straight months of job growth and more than one million for the whole year.
But, he added, “the unemployment rate is still unacceptably high, and we still have a lot of work to do.”
The president, who saw his Democratic Party lose control of the US House in this week’s elections, also called on Republican cooperation to help create jobs, saying “we can’t spend the next two years mired in gridlock”.
The “most important competition” isn’t between the parties, but between the US and countries,” he said.
The US Labour Department reported an uptick of 151,000 jobs in October, though the jobless rate stayed at 9.6 percent.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Obama on a mission to sell more in India (Lead) - Nov 05, 2010
- Republicans cave in, hand Obama big victory - Dec 23, 2011
- Obama blames partisan bickering for US woes - Aug 12, 2011
- Top economic voices question US downgrade - Aug 08, 2011
- Obama calls himself 'underdog' in 2012 poll - Oct 04, 2011
- Republicans reject tax breaks cut for wealthy - Sep 13, 2011
- US economy adds 151,000 jobs in October - Nov 06, 2010
- US Congress clears tax cut deal to hand Obama a big win - Dec 17, 2010
- Midnight tax-cut vote makes Obama 'new Comeback Kid' - Dec 18, 2010
- You are the change, Obama tells voters clinging on hope (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Slower jobs recovery ahead: White House - Sep 02, 2011
- Drop in US unemployment brings cheer to Obama - Dec 03, 2011
- U.S. jobless rate drops to 8.1% as people give up searching for work - Sep 08, 2012
- Personal animosity should not shut down government: Obama (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- US loses 54,000 jobs, Obama promises new package - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: arun kumar, barack obama, cooperation, day trip, democratic party, elections, encouraging news, gridlock, India, jobless rate, jobs in america, looking for a job, nov 5, one million, trip to asia, unemployment rate, uptick, us labour department, white house