Obama remark on Bangalore worrying, admits Azim PremjiMay 7th, 2009 - 11:22 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 7 (IANS) Terming the US President Barack Obama’s tax reform proposal as a “worrying” development, Wipro chairman Azim Premji Thursday said it was against what Obama said at the recent G-20 summit.
“It’s worrying! This is against what Obama said at G-20 summit in London recently,” Premji told reporters here on the sidelines of the launch of Wipro’s product qualification and compliance certificate facility ‘Tarang’.
While speaking at the Group-20 summit April 2, Obama had said that the leading economies in the world had “rejected protectionism that could deepen the crisis”.
He, however, Monday announced end of tax incentives to those US corporations that outsource jobs to other countries, including India.
“It’s a tax code that says you should pay lower taxes if you create a job in Bangalore, India, than if you create one in Buffalo, New York,” Obama said at White House.
Premji, however, expressed hope that Obama “will exercise a lot of judgment. I hope he will do it.”
After unveiling the Tarang facility, Wipro joint chief executive Girish Paranjpe said: “Wipro’s agenda to make innovation purposeful and customer centric got stronger with the launch of Tarang.”
As the first-of-its-kind facility in the country, the $8.5-million Tarang has been developed by the research and development (R&D) division of Wipro Technologies.
“We are confident this world class facility will enhance our ability to provide fully integrated product development solutions for our customers,” Paranjpe added.
- Wipro gets new CEO - Jan 21, 2011
- Ex-Wiproite named Azim Premji varsity VC - Mar 22, 2011
- Azim Premji Foundation re-launches teachers portal - Sep 05, 2012
- Ex-Wipro executive Paranjpe to head US energy firm - May 26, 2011
- Rishad Premji to shape Wipro's future growth strategy - Sep 02, 2010
- Honeywell sees growth in India despite recession - May 08, 2009
- Billionaire philanthropists to focus on societal development - Jun 02, 2012
- Qatar Airways signs pact with Wipro for IT solutions (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- UAE signs pact with Indian university - Dec 09, 2011
- Premji Foundation to open school of education in Hyderabad - Apr 07, 2011
- Wipro forecasts $1.4 billion IT revenue in Q4 (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Premji selling Wipro shares worth Rs.1,530 crore to fund education - Mar 12, 2012
- Violence at Maruti plant reflects social unrest: Premji - Jul 24, 2012
- Absence of decision-making biggest concern: Premji - Oct 31, 2011
- Premji admits Wipro underperformed in Q3, eyes $1.4 bn in Q4 (Second Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: 5 million, azim premji, bangalore india, barack obama, buffalo new york, chief executive, compliance certificate, corporations, judgment, launch, lower taxes, product development solutions, product qualification, protectionism, research and development, sidelines, tarang, tax incentives, tax reform proposal, wipro technologies