Obama inauguration: Washingtons Mall to be opened to the public for the first timeDecember 5th, 2008 - 3:17 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec.5 (ANI): For the first time in American history, the entire Mall in Washington will be open to the public for the inauguration of Barack Obama, the countrys first African-American President.
Officials have been in talks for weeks about opening the Mall so that more people can be part of the historic day.
The Presidential Inauguration Committee, which is in charge of handling inaugural festivities, has repeatedly said it wants to open the event to as many people as possible.
This will be an inauguration for all Americans,” Politico quoted Washington Mayor Adrian M. Fenty, as saying in a statement.
In the past, parade participants have assembled on the Mall between Seventh and 14th streets NW. Now they will gather at the Ellipse before setting off on their march.
During previous inaugurations, Fourth Street NW bound the viewing area for the swearing-in for ticket-holders and by Seventh Street NW for the general public.
Organizers have printed 240,000 tickets for the event, to be distributed by members of Congress and the Presidential Inaugural Committee. (ANI)
- Washington prepares for crush of Obama-mania - Jan 16, 2009
- Four million expected for Obama''s inauguration - Nov 18, 2008
- Inaugural Committee warns Of crush-Level crowds - Dec 31, 2008
- From Bush to Obama, traditions anchor inaugural ceremony - Jan 18, 2009
- Senior citizens piqued by tough rules for Obamas swearing in ceremony - Dec 22, 2008
- Obama team still raising cash - now for the big day - Nov 19, 2008
- US mounts record security to keep Obama inauguration safe - Jan 20, 2009
- Spectators cant attend both Obamas swearing-in and inaugural parade - Jan 15, 2009
- Indian-American DJ Rekha to join White House Easter Egg Roll - Apr 20, 2011
- Obamas inaugural ball to balance opulence and common sense amid recession - Dec 21, 2008
- Adrian Fenty Beaten By Fellow Democrat Vincent C. Gray In The Race To Nomination For Mayor - Sep 15, 2010
- Delhi 2010 tickets to be launched on August 25 - Aug 20, 2010
- FIFA unveils tickets for 2010 World Cup - Apr 16, 2010
- Haley, Jindal in Romney's VP guessing game - May 05, 2012
- 2010 CWG tickets to be launched on August 25 - Aug 20, 2010
Tags: american history, american president, barack obama, ellipse, fenty, inaugural festivities, members of congress, organizers, parade participants, presidential inaugural committee, presidential inauguration, street nw, streets nw, ticket holders, time washington, washington mayor