Obama asks America to wean itself off oilMarch 8th, 2012 - 3:38 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 8 (IANS) Once again attributing rising fuel price to growing demand in countries like China and India and Brazil, President Barack Obama wants America to wean itself off oil, a “fuel of the past”.
“Over the long term, the biggest reason oil prices will go up is there’s just growing demand in countries like China and India and Brazil,” he said Wednesday demanding that the United States broaden its approach to energy.
“People in China, folks in India, folks in Brazil - they’re going to want cars, too, as their standard of living goes up, and that means more demand for oil, and that’s going to kick up the price of oil worldwide,” Obama said speaking at a Daimler truck plant in Mount Holly, North Carolina.
“Those numbers are only going to get bigger over time,” Obama said calling on Congress to provide $1 billion in grants to local communities to encourage greater use of fuel-efficient technologies.
Gasoline prices are at their highest levels for this time of year and Obama has been travelling in recent weeks to promote energy proposals he says will reduce foreign oil dependency over the long term.
“We need to invest in the technology that will help us use less oil in our cars and our trucks, and our buildings, and our factories,” Obama said. “That’s the only solution to the challenge. Because as we start using less, that lowers the demand, prices come down.”
Earlier, White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters that Obama is “absolutely committed” not to “cede the industries of the future to other countries, our competitors around the globe, including China, India, Spain, other European countries, Brazil.”
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- India, China fuel demand spiking prices, says Obama - Feb 24, 2012
- Obama blames growing India, China for hurting American wallets (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Obama vows to tap new energy sources - Feb 24, 2012
- Obama blames growing demand in India, China for rising gas prices - Jul 30, 2011
- India, China boom led to higher fuel prices: White House - Feb 22, 2012
- Citing India, China demand, Obama calls for reducing oil appetite - Mar 31, 2011
- Obama seeks to curb speculation in oil market - Apr 18, 2012
- India, China growth pushing fuel prices: US - Mar 01, 2012
- Daimler AG gets RBI nod for non-banking finance company - Apr 25, 2011
- India, China boom pushing fuel prices: White House - Feb 25, 2012
- Obama cites India, China growth for reforms in Middle East - Mar 12, 2011
- New microwave method recycles used motor oil into fuel - Mar 29, 2011
- Obama to give India ties priority in second term too - Apr 05, 2011
- Obama wants new 'Made in US' technologies - May 07, 2011
- Study science, maths to keep 'hungry' Indian, Chinese at bay: Obama - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: 1 billion, arun kumar, barack obama, carney, daimler, efficient technologies, energy proposals, european countries, factories, fuel price, gasoline prices, holly north carolina, mount holly north carolina, oil dependency, oil prices, press secretary, price of oil, standard of living, time of year, white house press