Obama announces long-term debt reduction planApril 14th, 2011 - 5:08 am ICT by IANS
Washington, April 14 (IANS) The US President Barack Obama Wednesday announced its long-term debt plan, setting a goal to cut $4 trillion deficit over the next 12 years.
Delivering a speech at George Washington University, Obama said, this deficit reduction is a balanced approach to maintaining economic recovery, Xinhua reported.
Obama said his administration would take four steps to achieve debt balance, including savings on the defence budget, elimination of waste in healthcare spending, control of domestic expenditures and reform of the federal tax system.
The White House projected that Obama’s framework would reduce deficits as a share of US economy to about 2.5 percent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in 2015, and put deficits on a declining path toward close to 2.0 percent of GDP towards the end of the decade.
The US President said tackling the US budget deficit would require broad sacrifice. “We all have to make sacrifice but we do not have to sacrifice Americans.”
Obama, meanwhile, said that he would refuse to renew Bush-era tax breaks for wealthier Americans. “It is unfair to ask the elderly to pay more for healthcare while cutting taxes on the richest.”
- Obama draws battle lines with $4 trillion deficit reduction plan (Lead) - Apr 14, 2011
- Obama presents budget plan - Feb 14, 2012
- Defiant Obama seeks new taxes on wealthy to cut debt - Sep 20, 2011
- Obama touts possible bipartisan pact on debt limit - Jul 20, 2011
- US House passes historic debt deal (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Obama demands Congress produce `serious' plan for debt - Jul 16, 2011
- Congress leaders scramble to sell debt deal (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Obama unveils deficit reduction plan - Sep 19, 2011
- Obama seeks $30 bn hike in war spending in $3.8 trillion budget - Feb 01, 2010
- Obama's budget goes to the Congress - Feb 14, 2012
- Economic crisis looms as Obama returns from Asia - Nov 20, 2011
- Russia lowers budget deficit target for 2012 - Apr 25, 2012
- Obama, congressional leaders announce deal to raise debt ceiling, cut spending - Aug 01, 2011
- Russian budget deficit expected at 1 percent of GDP - Feb 02, 2012
- Slim chance of US slipping back into recession: Buffett - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: april 14, balanced approach, barack obama, debt balance, debt plan, debt reduction plan, defence budget, deficit reduction, economic recovery, federal tax system, four steps, gdp, george washington, george washington university, gross domestic product, sacrifice, term debt, trillion, us budget deficit, xinhua