NTPC’s second coal-based power plant to start operationsJuly 17th, 2010 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 17 (IANS) State-run National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Saturday said it will start commercial operations of its second coal-based 490 MW power plant at Uttar Pradesh’s Dadri to provide electricity for the Commonwealth Games.
The new plant, along with another unit of similar capacity which came onstream early this year, will provide 90 percent of its power output for the Games in October this year, the company said in a statement. The remaining 10 percent will be given to Uttar Pradesh.
“NTPC keeps its promise to power the Commonwealth Games by bringing on stream the second unit of 490 MW at its Dadri project today (Saturday),” it said.
Dadri power plant has three stages. The first has four coal based units operational since early 1990s with a combined capacity of 840 MW, the second with its two coal based units generates 980 MW while stage-III will have gas-based units with capacity of 829 MW.
The NTPC, which operates 27 power stations across the country, has presently over 17,000 MW capacity under construction at 17 locations and plans to become a 75 gigawatt (GW) company by 2017.
- NTPC adds 490 MW to power the Commonwealth Games - Jul 25, 2010
- NTPC commissions first unit of Jhajjar plant for Games - Oct 11, 2010
- Delhi faces power shortage as NTPC shuts units - Oct 05, 2011
- GVK Energy to set up two thermal power plants in Andhra - Jan 13, 2012
- Hydro-power key to India's energy security: Study - Jun 21, 2012
- Neyveli Lignite Corp to add 1,000 MW this fiscal - May 28, 2012
- Alstom Bharat Forge bags Rs.1,570-crore NTPC contract - Apr 24, 2012
- India aims at over 50,000 MW of nuclear power by 2030 - Aug 25, 2011
- Himachal seeks gas-based power plant - Mar 02, 2011
- NTPC mulls stakes in two Indonesian coal mines - Aug 30, 2010
- Reliance Power total income rises 124 percent in 2011-12 - May 27, 2011
- NTPC to set up wind power project in Karnataka - Jun 30, 2011
- Neyveli Lignite to add 250 MW power this fiscal - Dec 24, 2011
- 'New thermal power plants to escalate Vidarbha farm crisis' - Aug 08, 2012
- Delhi may shut down Rajghat power station - Oct 31, 2010
Tags: 10 percent, coal, commercial operations, commonwealth games, early 1990s, electricity, gigawatt, july 17, mw, national thermal power, national thermal power corporation, New Delhi, ntpc, power plant, stage iii, uttar pradesh