NTPC, NPCIL activate nuclear power production JVFebruary 15th, 2009 - 2:07 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Feb 15 (ANI): The National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) to execute joint venture (JV) nuclear power production.
The MoU was signed here by S. K. Jain, Chairman and Managing Director of NPCIL and R. S. Sharma, Chairman and Managing Director of NTPC.
Union Minister of State for Commerce and Power Jairam Ramesh said the venture would strengthen the country’’s nuclear capacity.
“The priority of this joint venture is to strengthen the expansion of nuclear capacity based on indigenous technology,” Ramesh said.
Anil Kakodkar, Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission, said only a public sector company would be allowed to set up a nuclear power plant.
In the first joint venture in nuclear power generation in the country, the NPCIL will hold a majority 51 per cent equity in the venture while NTPC will hold the remaining 49 per cent equity.
On Wednesday, Russia and India inked deals worth more than 700 million dollars to supply Indian nuclear reactors with fuel pellets.
Major nuclear powers — including Russia, European states and the United States — are scrambling to sell their respective nuclear commercial services to India. French state-controlled firm Areva has signed a Memorandum of Understanding to build six new generation evolutionary power reactors (EPRs) in India, potentially worth about 30 billion Euros. (ANI)
- Jaitapur n-power plant cleared: Jairam Ramesh - Nov 28, 2010
- NPCIL, NALCO ink deal for nuclear plants - Nov 09, 2011
- NPCIL tying up with state-run firms for n-power - Jul 22, 2011
- Prithviraj Chavan bats for Jaitapur nuclear project - Feb 26, 2011
- PM asked to cancel Jaitapur nuclear project - Aug 26, 2012
- India to launch 16 new nuclear reactors - Jun 01, 2012
- Areva to import critical parts for first nuke units in India - Oct 15, 2010
- France waits for India to clarify n-liability framework - Apr 05, 2012
- Nuclear power corporation not affected by rupee depreciation - May 30, 2012
- NTPC, NPCIL ink JV deal to set up nuclear power plants - Apr 27, 2010
- NTPC, Nuclear Power Corp ink joint venture pact - Feb 14, 2009
- Indian companies discuss nuclear MoUs with Canada - Feb 26, 2011
- India, France try to finalise accord on civil n-cooperation - Dec 02, 2010
- Shiv Sena warns of beating Jaitapur n-plant supporters - Feb 28, 2011
- India to talk to France, US for nuclear reactors - Jan 11, 2012
Tags: areva, atomic energy commission, french state, fuel pellets, indigenous technology, jairam ramesh, memorandum of understanding, npcil, nuclear capacity, nuclear power corporation, nuclear power corporation of india limited, nuclear power generation, nuclear power plant, nuclear power production, nuclear powers, nuclear reactors, power reactors, public sector company, s k jain, union minister