Now you can track a moving trainOctober 20th, 2011 - 1:28 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 19 (IANS) If you are concerned about the safety of your family or friend travelling in a train, a GPS-based train tracking system launched by Indian Railways will make it possible at the click of a mouse.
The Real Time Information System of the Indian system will help monitor train schedules.
In order to overcome limitations of the existing Train Running Information System, the Lucknow-based Research Design and Standards Organization of the railways and the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, have jointly developed a GPS-based train tracking system.
“The system is working successfully in a number of trains. We will add around 10 new trains per week,” director IIT, Kanpur S.K. Dhande told IANS.
“The train tracking system uses both GPS technology and satellites service,” he said.
Train information dissemination by dialing 139 in the existing Train Information System is dependent on manual collection and feeding of train running information, said officials.
The railways has decided to implement technology to track all trains, passenger as well as freight trains.
- Tiny device from IIT-Kanpur can prevent derailment - Nov 14, 2011
- Kakodkar to head railway safety panel - Sep 16, 2011
- Railways get long-delayed fog shields, but partially - Jan 16, 2011
- Panel suggests Rs.800,000 crore railways modernisation plan - Feb 27, 2012
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Second Lead, correcting spelling) - Jun 28, 2012
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Vibrations to help in energy harvesting - May 07, 2012
- IIT Kanpur revolts, to hold separate entrance exam - Jun 08, 2012
- IIT-Kanpur plans presence in Bangalore, US - Jun 19, 2010
- HRD ministry calls IIT meet on common entrance test (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Railways to switch to five digit numbers for trains - Dec 19, 2010
- Court directs railways to rehabilitate scavengers - Jul 27, 2011
- Sibal rules out rollback of common IIT test - Jun 12, 2012
- Railways may discuss safety with Chinese officials - Sep 27, 2011
- India launching satellite to study tropical climate - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: freight trains, gps technology, indian institute of technology, indian institute of technology kanpur, indian railways, information dissemination, information system, institute of technology, moving train, New Delhi, real time, satellites, standards organization, train information, train schedules