Now, Harley Davidson bikes in India at slashed pricesJanuary 5th, 2012 - 3:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 5 (IANS) American motorcycle giant Harley Davidson Thursday launched two locally assembled models of FXDB Street Bob and FXDC Super Glide Custom at the 11th edition of the Auto Expo here, saying it was expanding its completely knocked down (CKD) production here.
The two bikes were earlier offered as Completely Built-up (CBU) imports which will now be assembled at Harley Davidson’s Bawal plant in Haryana. The company has also slashed the price of the bikes.
While Street Bob will be available for Rs.9.95 lakh against the earlier price of Rs.13.95 lakh, Super Glide Customs will be sold at Rs.11.5 lakh against the earlier price of Rs.15.45 lakh.
“This is the first time, bike riders across the country will be able to lay their hands on a 1600cc bike for under Rs.10 lakh,” said Anoop Prakash, managing director, Harley Davidson.
Bookings for the motorcycles at new prices begin Thursday across all the seven dealership units in India, including the recently launched showroom in Chennai.
The company also said it plans to expand its operations in Kolkata, Kochi and Jaipur.
“As we expand our CKD portfolio in India, we would continue to adopt and invest in strategies that make our products and ownership experience accessible to more enthusiasts and customers,” said Prakash.
Harley Davidson India was set up in August 2009 and it commenced its CKD assembly operations January 2011 and has been assembling three bikes of the Sportster family - the Superlow, Iron 883 and Forty-Eight - of its total line-up of 15 models.
Currently over 1,000 Harley Davidson bikes are on the Indian roads.
- Harley Davidson bookings to begin in April - Jan 05, 2010
- Harley-Davidson's Fat-Boy bike comes to India - Aug 04, 2011
- Chandigarh man gets bumpy ride on expensive Harley-Davidson - Nov 11, 2010
- Harley-Davidson to set up assembly plant in Haryana - Nov 02, 2010
- Harley-Davidson, ICICI Bank ink MoU - Jan 07, 2010
- BMW launches super salon, Mini - Jan 06, 2012
- Honda targets sales of 21 lakh mobikes, scooters - May 11, 2011
- Infosys to hire 2,000 people in US by end 2012 - Jul 24, 2012
- Garware Motors hopes to sell 2,000 super bikes - Feb 08, 2011
- Beckham's road trip with Ramsay - Aug 04, 2012
- Honda launches new super-bike VFR1200F - Jul 30, 2010
- Suzuki launches 805cc cruiser bike - Nov 28, 2011
- Sarah Palin creates a buzz on the 24th Rolling Thunder motorcycle ride - May 30, 2011
- Bangaloreans enjoy Harley-Davidson motorcycle ride - Dec 06, 2009
- Toyata launches seventh generation Camry - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: american motorcycle, assembly operations, auto expo, bawal, bike riders, bookings, customs, enthusiasts, harley davidson, harley davidson bikes, indian roads, jaipur, kochi, lakh, managing director, motorcycles, New Delhi, ownership experience, time bike, units in india