Now Andhra to give rice at Re.1 a kg to its poorSeptember 21st, 2011 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 21 (IANS) Families living below poverty line (BPL) in Andhra Pradesh will get rice at one rupee a kg from Nov 1, Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy said Wednesday.
Kiran Kumar Reddy made the announcement at a public meeting in Tirupati. The scheme is being seen in political circles here as an attempt to divert public attention from the ongoing strike by various sections of people in Telangana for separate state.
The BPL families will get the subsidised rice through public distribution system from Nov 1, the state formation day. About 2.24 crore ration card holders are expected to benefit from this scheme.
Andhra Pradesh has now joined Tamil Nadu and Kerala in offering this scheme for poor.
It was Telugu Desam Party (TDP) founder N.T. Rama Rao who first introduced Rs.2 a kg rice scheme for poor families in Andhra Pradesh after coming to power in early 1980s. His son-in-law N. Chandrababu Naidu discontinued the scheme after dislodging him from power in 1995.
Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy re-introduced the scheme after bringing the Congress to power in 2004. Kiran Kumar Reddy has now slashed the price of rice to just one rupee a kg.
- Andhra's rice scheme to benefit 75 mn people - Nov 01, 2011
- Junior NTR ties the knot with Naidu's relative - May 06, 2011
- Patriotic fervour marks I-Day celebrations in Andhra - Aug 15, 2012
- Jharkhand to provide lunch for Rs.5 to the poor - Aug 03, 2011
- Iodised salt for Jharkhand poor at 50p a kg - Jul 31, 2011
- Andhra presents Rs.1.45 lakh crore budget (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Tributes paid to NTR on birth anniversary - May 28, 2011
- No role in CBI action against Sakshi group: Chief minister - May 09, 2012
- Andhra pays tributes to YSR on death anniversary - Sep 02, 2012
- Kiran Kumar Reddy is 16th chief minister of Andhra Pradesh (Second Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- High court reserves orders on Naidu's petition - Dec 14, 2011
- President offers prayers at Tirupati - Jul 07, 2011
- Parliamentary panel on food bill to meet Jan 23 - Jan 18, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- Andhra assembly session kicks off on stormy note - Dec 01, 2011
Tags: 1980s, bpl, chandrababu, chief minister, hyderabad, kerala, kg, kiran kumar, nov 1, political circles, poor families, poverty line, public attention, public distribution system, rama rao, ration card, rice scheme, rupee, state formation, telangana