Not against second airport in Mumbai, says RameshAugust 14th, 2010 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 14 (IANS) Union Minister for Environment and Forests Jairam Ramesh Saturday said that he is not against a second airport for Mumbai in Panvel, but was concerned about the ecological damage the site might have on the surrounding areas.
“I am not against the development of the commercial capital of India. Mumbai does require a second airport at the earliest, but I am very clear in my mind that the present site selected by City and Industrial Development Corporation (CIDCO) has major environmental concerns,” Ramesh said.
“Around 400 acres of mangrove cover is like to be destroyed. Moreover, two rivers will have to be diverted and an 80-metre hill flattened if the airport comes up at the current site,” Ramesh added.
Ramesh said that on a scale of one to 10, 10 being the highest, diversion of two rivers - Gadhi and Ulwe - is a point-10 concern.
“Villages in that area will be submerged if waters of both the rivers are diverted.”
The Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) of the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF), that met last month, had asked CIDCO to provide additional information regarding the same.
The EAC will meet Aug 18 to decide the fate of the new airport site.
Ramesh also mentioned that a delegation of three MPs met with him and proposed that Kalyan be considered as an alternative site for the second international airport.
“A delegation of MPs Suresh Tawre from Bhiwandi, Anand Paranjpe from Kalyan and Baliram Jadhav from Palghar proposed Kalyan as an ideal location,” Ramesh said.
“The defence ministry owns the site and has an old airstrip there,” Ramesh added.
- Panel meets to decide on second airport for Mumbai - Aug 18, 2010
- Navi Mumbai airport gets green nod, finally (Lead) - Nov 22, 2010
- Maharashtra CM Chavan meets PM over Navi Mumbai airport row - Sep 03, 2010
- Navi Mumbai airport plan tweaked on green concerns - Oct 23, 2010
- India's commercial hub to get second airport after 'green' nod (Roundup) - Nov 22, 2010
- Navi Mumbai airport may get the nod this week - Nov 10, 2010
- Navi Mumbai airport gets environment ministry's clearance - Nov 22, 2010
- Environment panel to re-assess Navi Mumbai airport plan - Oct 15, 2010
- Environment Ministry to submit Lavasa housing project report - Jan 18, 2011
- MoEF to submit Lavasa report in Bombay High Court - Jan 17, 2011
- New airport in Navi Mumbai only: Praful Patel - Sep 18, 2010
- Jaitapur will be implemented, declares Jairam Ramesh - Apr 15, 2011
- PM to intervene in Navi Mumbai airport deadlock - Sep 03, 2010
- Vedanta: Apex court moved against denial of forest clearance - Mar 10, 2011
- Jayanthi Natarajan to arrive in Goa amidst mining controversy - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,