Northern power grid was again on verge of trippingAugust 2nd, 2012 - 11:56 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 2 (IANS) Power woes could be far from over as the Northern Grid was on the verge of tripping yet again, officials here said Thursday.
According to sources in the Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL), the 400 kv double circuit line between Gwalior and Agra faced “dangerous overloading” Wednesday evening and could have triggered a grid collapse, but for some wise and timely intervention of powermen that saved the day.
Realising that the load on this crucial line had reached 800 MW in the evening, the powermen scaled it down to 600 MW by cutting electricity in many parts fed by this line.
The power situation continued to be in a “state of despair” as only about 75 percent of power was restored after Tuesday’s grid collapse that brought the state to a grinding halt.
According to officials, power supply to industries had recovered and by Thursday noon power to all industrial areas of Kanpur, central Uttar Pradesh and Bundelkhand would be completely restored.
On Thursday, the state was being supplied about 7,000 MW power, while the demand was somewhere between 9,000-9,700 MW, an official said.
Out of these, Roza power plant was supplying 970 MW, thermal power plants were generating 1,770 MW and 500 MW was from hydro power projects. The state was getting 3,770 MW from the central quota as well.
Officials and engineers have been asked to be alert and adhere to grid discipline at all costs, said A.P. Mishra, new managing director of the UPPCL.
- UP comes to a grinding halt due to power failure - Jul 31, 2012
- Powers crisis turns into law-and-order scare for UP government - Jul 24, 2012
- Was UP behind Tuesday power mess? Officials say a firm no - Jul 31, 2012
- Northern grid came close to tripping Monday: UP officials - Aug 20, 2012
- Southern power grid safe from tripping (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- UP blacklists 14 firms supplying sub-standard transformers - Jun 27, 2012
- Second blackout in India hits 19 states, 600 million people (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- 'Southern power grid safe from tripping' - Aug 02, 2012
- UP gives grace period for power MoUs inked by Mayawati - Jun 07, 2012
- Delhi blames neighbouring states for power crisis (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Haryana asks centre to probe grid failure - Aug 01, 2012
- Power woes in UP set to disturb Akhilesh honeymoon (Uttar Pradesh Newsletter) - May 25, 2012
- Pay more for more power in Noida and Ghaziabad - Jun 19, 2012
- Power crisis: Centre, states in blame game (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Blackout hits business activities - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: agra, aug 2, collapse, grinding halt, gwalior, hydro power projects, industrial areas, mw, northern grid, power grid, power situation, power woes, powermen, realising, thermal power plants, timely intervention, uppcl, uttar pradesh, verge, wednesday evening