Nooyi honoured with business leadership awardMarch 8th, 2008 - 12:02 am ICT by admin
New York, March 7 (IANS) PepsiCo chief Indra Nooyi has become the first woman to receive the prestigious Peterson Business Award, given biennially for outstanding business leadership. Chennai-born Nooyi was given the award at an event Thursday in Greenwich, her hometown in Connecticut, in the presence of hundreds of business and community leaders.
Yale University president Richard Levin presented the award to Nooyi, a graduate of the Yale School of Management who now serves on the university’s governing board.
Nooyi is the sixth recipient of the award named by the Greenwich Library after Clementine Lockwood Peterson, who in 1992 gave a $25 million (Rs.1 billion) bequest to the library.
“Lots of people have lessons to teach you,” Nooyi said at the event, as reported by The Advocate, a Connecticut paper.
She particularly mentioned her family and upbringing with helping to prepare for the business world.
“I grew up very well taken care of,” she said. “I was always confident and secure in myself, and I think that does help.”
The first chairman and chief executive officer (CEO) of Pepsi, Nooyi recently told Fortune magazine that she looked to a role in Washington a few years later.
Forbes magazine recently listed her among 10 best women CEOs of large corporations who bring best returns to investors.
The Peteron award honours an individual whose innovative thinking, leadership, and sustained record of achievement have had a profound impact on the national and global economy, and whose words and deeds have demonstrated a commitment to intellectual freedom and open access to information.
Past recipients of the award include Louis Gerstner Jr., former chairman of IBM, Sanford Weill, former chairman of Citigroup, and William Harrison Jr., former chairman of JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Yale chief who advanced linkages with India to quit - Aug 31, 2012
- Indra Nooyi gets a raise, makes $17 mn in 2011 - Mar 24, 2012
- Indra Nooyi second most powerful woman in US business - Oct 01, 2011
- Yale Legend in Leadership award for Ratan Tata - Oct 18, 2010
- Yale varsity to honour Nilekani with Leadership Award - Nov 03, 2009
- Indra Nooyi is again Fortune's most powerful woman - Sep 30, 2010
- MasterCard's Ajay Banga to head USIBC - Apr 16, 2012
- Indra Nooyi, Piyush Pandey to speak at AdAsia 2011 - Sep 08, 2011
- Yale leadership summit to explore opportunities for Indian business - Oct 08, 2009
- 'Hillary Clinton world's No.1 powerful mom' - May 13, 2012
- 19 NRIs honoured with Light of India awards - Jun 04, 2012
- Indra Nooyi Wins '2009 CEO Of The Year' And Gets Enlisted On Forbes - Aug 20, 2009
- Indra Nooyi named CEO of the year - Jul 14, 2009
- India a leading market for PepsiCo : Nooyi - Nov 09, 2009
- Sonia Gandhi, Indra Nooyi among top ten world's most powerful women - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: award honours, business award, business leadership, chief executive officer, forbes magazine, fortune magazine, greenwich library, indra nooyi, intellectual freedom, jpmorgan chase, large corporations, leadership award, louis gerstner, record of achievement, richard levin, sanford weill, william harrison, women ceos, yale school of management, yale university