Non-payment of Rs 70 lakh fine may lead to Shoaibs ouster from Pak team

July 14th, 2008 - 4:06 pm ICT by ANI  

Shoaib Akhtar

Lahore, July 14 (ANI): PCB is expected to decide today whether fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar would be included in the list of 30 probables for the ICC Champions Trophy, as he has so far failed to deposit the Rs 70 lakh fine, imposed by the PCB Appellate Tribunal while reducing the five-year ban slapped on him by the PCB disciplinary committee to 18 months.

Shoaib had challenged the punishment in the Lahore High Court (LHC), which waived the ban, giving immediate relief to the bowler.

Respecting the courts decision, the selectors included Shoaib in the preliminary list, but the PCB raised its objection over it saying that the bowler must first pay the fine. But, Shoaibs lawyer Abid Hasan Mintoo has said that since the LHC had given its verdict on the ban, the case regarding the cash penalty is still pending with the court.

How we can pay the fine without the LHCs order as the case is still pending with the court, the Dawn quoted Mintoo as saying.

The lawyer is expected to write a letter to the PCB over the issue, explaining that his client will only pay the amount on the courts advice. But, sources said that the PCB and the selection committee were agreed on the point that Shoaibs name in the list depends on his depositing the amount. Otherwise it may be scratched, added the paper.

The national selection committee, headed by Salahuddin Ahmed, had included the names of Shoaib along with fellow pacemen Mohammad Asif and Umar Gul in the provisional Champions Trophy list handed over to the PCB to forward to the International Cricket Council (ICC) on July 10, a day before the due date. But, the PCB triggered a fresh controversy by rejecting the list and asking the selectors to meet up on Monday. In doing so, the PCB has also sought ICCs permission to extend the due date for submission of the list till Tuesday. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Business |

Subscribe