Nokia to focus on sub-Rs.6,000 categoryOctober 31st, 2011 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 31 (IANS) The mobile handset market below the price point of Rs.6,000 is expected to grow at five to six percent annually in India, mobile handset giant Nokia said Monday, adding it will emphasize on becoming more competitive in this segment.
“The growth will come from sub-brands priced below Rs.6,000. At present, in India, there are around 22 million Facebook users and it will go up to 30 million by December this year,” Nokia India’s head of services Jasmeet Gandhi told reporters on the sidelines of a programme to publish a study conducted by research company Nielsen on internet usage through mobile phones.
The study on internet usage through mobile phones in the sub-Rs.6,000 price category shows that there is a huge shift in the way consumers use internet through mobile phones.
“Price and brand play a big role. We will be more competitive in providing features in the handsets of sub-Rs.6,000 price segment,” Gandhi said.
The demand for using internet from mobile phones was growing, he added.
The handset maker is working with a third party that is engaged in development of the system and applications-based features in the sub-Rs.6,000 category for the company, he said.
- Nokia seeks price correction in 3G services - Jan 17, 2012
- Indian mobile handsets market grows by 3.6 percent in Q3 - Dec 29, 2010
- Indian handsets market reports 5 percent drop in revenues - Jul 09, 2012
- MTS launches two Android phones for below Rs.5,000 - Aug 31, 2011
- Nokia launches two low-priced handsets - Sep 15, 2011
- Nokia launches Lumia 610 for Rs.12,999 in India - Jul 06, 2012
- BlackBerry launches new smartphone to regain market share (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- India's mobile phone users spoilt for choice - Jun 05, 2011
- Samsung to launch cheaper smartphones for India - Mar 18, 2012
- Applications key as tablets flood Indian market - Aug 25, 2011
- Choice the buzzword, as consumers pampered like never before (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 25, 2010
- 'Nokia regaining lost ground in handset market' - Jun 07, 2012
- Mobile device sales in India to reach 231 mn - Nov 22, 2011
- Nokia E5 launched in India - Oct 06, 2010
- Nokia launches N8 smartphone - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: 30 million, consumers, gandhi, giant, handset market, handsets, India, internet usage, jasmeet, mobile phones, nielsen, nokia, oct 31, price category, segment, sidelines, third party, using internet