Nokia Siemens to upgrade Idea Cellular’s networkJune 18th, 2009 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) Telecom equipment manufacturer Nokia Siemens Networks Thursday said it will upgrade Idea Cellular’s network in 22 service areas in India.
The company will use GPRS (general packet radio service) technology and its Unified Charging Solution to upgrade Idea’s existing network that will enable the telcom major provide innovative mobile services like multimedia messaging, email, web browsing and online music.
GPRS technology enables faster transfer of data and provides services like multimedia messages, push-to-talk facility and instant messaging.
In GPRS networks, an SMS transmission speed of 30 text messages per minute can be achieved. This is much faster comparing to the speed of six to 10 text messages per minute in ordinary GSM networks.
The services will be available to subscribers from March 2010, Idea said in a statement.
“The value-added service market in India holds tremendous potential. The greater opportunity lies in data services, and in expanding our capabilities and service portfolio in this area,” Anil Tandan, chief technology officer of Idea, said.
Nokia Siemens will add GPRS capability to 10 Idea telecom service areas, while the existing GPRS capability in 12 other areas will be expanded.
Nokia Siemens will also implement a charging solution that will enable Idea to use a single system across these locations for the new services for both pre-paid and post-paid subscribers.
- Nokia Siemens Networks, du to upgrade Dubai telecom service - Oct 24, 2010
- Airtel deal with Nokia Siemens for expansion in Africa - Sep 29, 2011
- Vodafone selects Nokia Siemens and Ericsson for 3G service - Oct 13, 2010
- Ericsson, Nokia and Huawei to partner Bharti's 3G roll-out - Sep 20, 2010
- Nokia Siemens Networks expands capacity - Aug 10, 2011
- BSNL launches Bharat Berry push e-mail service - Nov 14, 2011
- No free SMS in J&K from mid-night Friday (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2010
- Percept Knorigin inks deal with Alcatel Lucent to provide digital content - Jun 01, 2011
- Reliance launches SMS based mobile conferencing (Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- SMS back in Kashmir, DoT withdraws its order - Apr 16, 2010
- Indian telecom firms gearing up for 3G telephony - Jan 24, 2011
- Mobile number portability will improve quality of service (Comment) - Nov 28, 2010
- Few takers for post-paid connection in Pakistan - Aug 24, 2012
- Court relief for Matrix Cellular - Oct 28, 2011
- TRAI issues notices to operators for violating norms - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: chief technology officer, equipment manufacturer, existing network, general packet radio service, gprs networks, gsm networks, idea cellular, multimedia messages, nokia siemens networks, packet radio, service areas, service portfolio, service technology, single system, sms transmission, telecom equipment, telecom service, transmission speed, value added service, web browsing