No proposal to lift sex determination test ban: Plan panelNovember 11th, 2011 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 11 (IANS) There is no proposal being considered by the Planning Commission for relaxing the ban on sex determination tests, an official statement said Friday.
The clarification comes following media reports that the plan panel is considering such a proposal.
“It may be mentioned that the child sex ratio is a monitorable goal of the 11th Five Year Plan. Census 2011 data has revealed that there is a steep decline in the sex ratio in the country and the situation has not improved during the last decade,” the statement said.
It further said that it has been noted that the girl child faces and adverse environment in the early growth period, adding the Planning Commission supports creating and developing environment where all children grow healthy irrespective of their gender.
“This implies care and protection to the pregnant women regardless of whether the foetus is male or female. However, serious efforts have to be made to protect the girl child,” it added.
- China proposes harsh punishment to curb gender imbalance - Mar 14, 2012
- China's sex ratio declines - Aug 16, 2011
- President calls for social movement for gender equality - Apr 09, 2011
- Two female foetuses recovered in Rajasthan - Nov 06, 2011
- Cradle in every village - to save the girl child (With Images) - May 24, 2011
- Fourth foetus found in Jaipur - Mar 31, 2012
- Orient policies for women, NAC tells government - May 29, 2012
- Haryana doctor held for sex determination test - Apr 20, 2011
- Delhi to strengthen rules against female foeticide: Dikshit - Jul 11, 2011
- Girl's foetus found in Rajasthan town - Apr 20, 2012
- Girl foetus found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jun 16, 2012
- Implement law against sex selection stringently: Azad - Sep 28, 2011
- Declining sex ratio attributed to misuse of medical technology - Dec 18, 2011
- Azad reconstitutes Central Supervisory Board under PNDT Act - Apr 09, 2011
- Students to track sex determination centres - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: census, child sex, clarification, faces, foetus, girl child, growth period, last decade, New Delhi, plan panel, planning commission, pregnant women, proposal, sex determination, sex ratio, steep decline, test ban