No plans to set up cement price regulator: ministerMarch 11th, 2008 - 9:51 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 11 (IANS) Minister of State for Industry Ashwani Kumar Tuesday ruled out setting up a regulator to stabilise cement prices, and said the prices were already under control. “The government took measures, like customs duty removal, to facilitate import to tide over the domestic cement supply shortages,” Kumar told the Lok Sabha in a written reply.
“It (government) has also delegated special power to agencies like Mineral and Metal Trading Corp (MMTC) to undertake bulk cement import in case there was any shortage of the material in the market,” Kumar said.
“Because of the implementation of these measures, the average cement price has stabilised to a large extent, showing an increase of just 2.67 percent between March 2007 and January, 2008,” the minister added.
Monopolistic and Restrictive Trade Practices Commission (MRTPC) earlier this year found major cement manufacturers including ACC, Lafarge and Grasim guilty of cartelisation to jack up prices, fuelling speculations that the government might set up a regulator to discipline them.
- Competition panel levies Rs.6,000 crore penalty on cement firms - Jun 21, 2012
- Rs.6,000 crore penalty on 11 cement firms for price fixing (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Cement price in Himachal reduced - Jan 05, 2012
- Protest in Chhattisgarh over rising cement prices - Jan 11, 2012
- Include cement in essential commodities: Dhumal - Dec 22, 2011
- Jairam hails apex court's ruling on Meghalaya mining - Jul 07, 2011
- Himachal wants cement put on controlled commodity list - Jan 02, 2012
- India's anti-trust body to probe airfare hike - Feb 12, 2009
- India renews contract to supply iron ore to international firms - Jul 07, 2011
- Shree Cement penalized Rs.397.51 crore for monopolistic practices - Jul 30, 2012
- Tomatoes join high-priced onions, more supplies come from Pakistan (Intro Roundup) - Dec 24, 2010
- CIL making clandestine profit: ex-chairman - Jan 19, 2012
- Government to export two million tonnes wheat - Jul 04, 2012
- IIT-Madras, Lafarge to launch cement research project - Mar 23, 2011
- Food prices: Exports regulated, action against hoarders (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: bulk cement, cement manufacturers, cement prices, customs duty, extent, implementation, lafarge, Lok Sabha, march 11, measures, metal trading corp, minister of state, New Delhi, reply, restrictive trade practices, speculations, supply shortages, trade practices commission