No overtime under industrial disputes act: CourtAugust 7th, 2010 - 4:08 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, Aug 7 (IANS) A state government employee is not entitled to claim overtime or other benefits under the Industrial Disputes Act, the Gujarat High court has ruled.
A single judge bench of the high court opined that a state government employee is governed by the rules of Bombay Civil Services Rules (BCSR) and not by the ID Act, 1947.
Justice K.S. Jhaveri was hearing the case of the state of Gujarat vs Yam Bahadur D. Thapa wherein the state government challenged a labour court’s order which directed the government to pay Thapa Rs.57,600 as overtime under section 33(c) (2) of the Industrial Disputes Act, 1947.
While quashing and setting aside the labour court’s order, Justice Jhaveri observed that the employee was working with a government department which was governed by the BCSR. The petitioner’s department was performing a function which implements policy and is a sovereign function and not an industrial activity, the order surmised.
“Overtime is not permissible under the law to be paid to the respondent.
“The order of the learned Labour Court, Ahmedabad, is therefore quashed and set aside,” Justice Jhaveri noted in an order made available Saturday.
- Labour court not authorised to direct regularisation - Aug 09, 2010
- Land acquisition court can't order rent, rules high court - Dec 27, 2010
- No deputation without employee's consent: Court - Jul 05, 2010
- Gujarat government pulled up for delay in food adulteration cases - Dec 13, 2010
- Court blocks Narayanan-Vajpayee letters on Gujarat riots (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Employer's plea to quash suicide abetment charges rejected - Oct 28, 2011
- Gujarat ITI staff entitled to bonus, rules high court - Jan 17, 2011
- Regularised daily wagers entitled to all benefits: Court - Mar 25, 2011
- Notice issued to centre, Air India on pilots' plea - Jun 25, 2012
- Provident fund, gratuity cannot be attached, rules court - Feb 12, 2011
- Court cancels Karnataka deputy ombudsman's appointment (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Court orders closure of Sterlite's copper smelter plant - Sep 28, 2010
- Court stays order to make president's donations public - Jul 13, 2012
- Apex court refuses public suits on service matters - Aug 31, 2010
- Apex court judge recuses from Karnataka cop's case (Lead) - May 31, 2012
Tags: ahmedabad, bcsr, bench, bombay, gandhinagar, government department, government employee, gujarat high court, industrial disputes, jhaveri, labour court, opined, overtime, petitioner, respondent, section 33, state government, state of gujarat, thapa, yam