No objection to MFN status for India: PakistanOctober 12th, 2011 - 1:54 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 12 (IANS) Pakistan has no objection to granting Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India, a minister said in Lahore.
Commerce Minister Makhdoom Amin Fahim said Tuesday: “We will definitely carry it on.”
“However, we want to proceed step by step,” Dawn quoted the minister as saying.
The details would be finalised at a meeting of the commerce secretaries of India and Pakistan to be held in New Delhi next month, he said.
The MFN status could be a big step forward in strengthening trade ties between the two neighbours.
Once the MFN status is granted, Pakistan will have to treat India on par with its other favoured trading partners. India has already granted most favoured nation status to Pakistan and is treating it on par with other trading partners.
Fahim had been on a five-day visit to India last month.
Currently, Pakistan’s exports to India stand at $300 million, while the imports from India are at $1.5 billion.
- MFN status unlikely during Sharma's Pakistan visit - Feb 13, 2012
- Pakistan to grant MFN status to India - Oct 13, 2011
- Pakistan to name India 'most favoured' trading partner by yearend? - Oct 02, 2011
- Pakistan defers MFN status to India - Feb 14, 2012
- India, Pakistan to dismantle trade barriers (Round-up) - Feb 13, 2012
- Pakistan will take forward MFN status promise: Sharma - Jan 23, 2012
- Trade potential making India, Pakistan lift barriers - Feb 20, 2012
- Pakistan hints at transit trade rights to India - Oct 11, 2011
- Heartening progress in India-Pakistan trade talks: Daily - Sep 30, 2011
- Pakistan commerce minister in India September-end, MFN likely - Sep 05, 2011
- No MFN status yet for India: Pakistani minister - Jan 18, 2012
- Pakistan gives India MFN status, India Inc rejoices - Nov 02, 2011
- India, Pakistan target doubled trade in three years - Sep 28, 2011
- Pakistan commerce minister meets Maharashtra governor - Sep 26, 2011
- Pakistan to introduce negative list trade regime with India - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: amin, commerce minister, dawn, fahim, india and pakistan, india pakistan, makhdoom, mfn status, nation status, neighbours, New Delhi, objection, pakistan islamabad, secretaries, trade ties, trading partners