No more terrible Tuesdays at Mumbai airportMarch 23rd, 2010 - 8:58 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 23 (IANS) No more terrible Tuesdays at Mumbai International Airport from now on. After more than 22 weeks, the reconstruction work of the airport runway intersection was successfully completed here Tuesday evening, an official said.
The complex project had started October 27, 2009 and was finally completed in 22 weeks during which there were major flight restrictions on all Tuesdays at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport.
The work was carried out on a 54,000 square metres area which constitutes the intersection of two cross-runways — 09-27 and 14-32 — which has been completely re-laid with over 24,000 tonnes of asphalt, concrete and bitumen.
A duct bank measuring 2,860 metres in length and a 9,390 metre-long conduit were laid at the intersection to enable cables for airfield ground lighting.
Besides these, reconstruction work was also completed at the junction of taxiway E and runway 09-27 in an area of around 15,000 sq metres, and grading work on a 32,500 sq metres area along the sides of the intersection.
This mammoth project necessitated the closure of the full main runway (09-27) for six hours from noon to 6 p.m. on all Tuesdays.
During that period, a shortened runway - 27-A - had been put to use to facilitate limited flight operations; it handled a total 1,353 flights over the past 22 Tuesdays.
A team comprising 61 engineers and over 500 field workers was deployed, besides more than 100 heavy and light machines, at the runway intersection every Tuesday for the past 22 weeks to complete the huge task.
The Mumbai International Airport Pvt. Ltd. (MIAL) is a joint venture between the GVK-SA consortium and the Airports Authority of India.
MIAL was awarded the mandate to modernize and upgrade CSIA in April 2006. CSIA catered to 24.8 million passengers and 521,368 tonnes of cargo during January - December 2009.
- New taxiway to cut congestion at Mumbai airport - Sep 27, 2011
- Main runway of Mumbai international airport shut till July - Nov 01, 2010
- Mumbai airport's main runway not yet functional - Sep 04, 2011
- Mumbai Airport to close for reconstruction work - Feb 25, 2012
- New taxiway at Mumbai airport - Jul 05, 2012
- Mumbai airport will be closed for six hours every Tuesday - Oct 27, 2009
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Mumbai airport ranked third for 'service quality' - Feb 16, 2012
- Mumbai airport runways re-open after being shut for five hours - Apr 23, 2011
- Nepal Army to use helicopter to rescue stranded tourists - Nov 06, 2011
- Main Mumbai airport runway to shut for 8 hours till May - Jan 20, 2012
- Mumbai airport main runway shut till 11 p.m. Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Plane removed, operations resume at Mumbai airport runway - Sep 05, 2011
- Mumbai airport's traffic control tower design bags award - Jul 21, 2009
- High aircraft parking charges at Mumbai flayed - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: airport runway, airports authority of india, asphalt concrete, chhatrapati shivaji international airport, complex project, csia, flight operations, flight restrictions, ground lighting, gvk, mammoth project, mial, mumbai airport, pvt ltd, reconstruction work, runways, six hours, sq metres, square metres, tuesday evening