No more 25 paise coins from June 30May 18th, 2011 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 18 (IANS) Coins of 25 paise denomination, popularly known as ‘paavli’ or ‘chaar anna’, will be withdrawn from June 30, the Reserve Bank of India announced here Wednesday.
“The coins of denomination of 25 paise and below will cease to be legal tender from June 30. These will not be accepted for exchange at bank branches from July 1, 2011 onwards,” the RBI said in a statement.
The central bank appealed to the people to exchange stocks of these coins at the branches of banks maintaining small coin depots or at RBI offices around the country.
The exchange facility for these coins shall be available till the close of business hours June 29, 2011.
The decision comes in the wake of the Section 15A of the Coinage Act, 1906, by which the central government had decided to withdraw the coins of denomination of 25 paise and below from circulation from June 30, 2011.
With the end of the era of 25 paise coins and below, the 50 paise (or half-a-rupee) shall be now the lowest denomination coin in public circulation. Other coins include those of denominations one, two, five, and 10 rupees.
- 'Chavanni' no more after June 30 - Jun 29, 2011
- 25 paise, or 'chavanni', is dead (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Seven years jail for melting, destroying coins - Mar 25, 2011
- India decides to cast 'chavanni' to history - Dec 30, 2010
- RBI to issue special coins on century of civil aviation - Dec 27, 2011
- RBI to issue new Rs.5 and Rs.2 coins with Games logo - Oct 11, 2010
- RBI to issue new coins - Jul 22, 2011
- Coin shortage makes everyday life difficult in West Bengal - Aug 19, 2012
- Pakistan to demonetize Rs.5 note by Dec 31 - Oct 29, 2011
- Canada to drop penny from circulation - Jul 31, 2012
- RBI to probe illegal coins circulated in Mumbai markets - Jan 24, 2012
- No RBI approval needed for bank branches in northeast: minister - Dec 30, 2010
- Myanmar to introduce new 10,000 kyat banknotes - Jun 08, 2012
- Petrol prices to be hiked by 70 paise from midnight (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Petrol prices to be hiked by 70 paise from midnight (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: bank branches, bank of india, business hours, central government, chaar, circulation, coinage act, coins, denomination coin, denominations, exchange facility, june 29, legal tender, mumbai, paise, rbi, reserve bank of india, rupee, rupees, section 15a