No foreign placement for IIM Calcutta students this yearApril 6th, 2009 - 10:30 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 6 (IANS) Not a single student of the post graduate programme for executives at the Indian Institute of Management-Calcutta (IIM-C) has got overseas placement this year, thanks to the adverse economic condition prevailing worldwide.
“The global nature of the downturn got reflected and there were no foreign placements this year,” a statement from the IIM-C said here Monday.
Last year, six students accepted international jobs that averaged an annual pay of $120,750, while the highest offer came at $200,000 a year.
The average salary dropped 10 percent this year to Rs.18 lakh from Rs.20 lakh last year.
“The highest domestic salary saw a steeper drop - falling to Rs.35 lakh from Rs.45 lakh last year,” the statement said.
Last year about 53 percent of the jobs on offer were in the IT and IT enabled services (ITeS) sector.
In 2009, the IT and ITeS sector accounted for only 22 percent job offers, while the sales and marketing industry accounted for 22 percent.
Among the companies that visited the IIM-C campus for placement were: McKinsey and Co, Deloitte and IBM Consulting in the consultancy sector, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) and Tech Mahindra from the IT industry and Avaya and Tata Teleservices from the telecom sphere.
- IIM-Calcutta graduates bag Rs.2 mn in average salary - May 21, 2012
- Finance dominates IIM-Calcutta placements - Mar 10, 2011
- More offers with dream salaries for IIM-Calcutta - Sep 28, 2010
- Finance companies dominate IIM-C placements - Apr 10, 2012
- Global firms line up with offers for IIM-B grads - Nov 02, 2011
- 56 percent pay hike for IIM-C students - May 20, 2010
- Placements at Delhi's newest tech university cross last year's mark - Mar 21, 2011
- Global firms vie to grab Bangalore biz whizkids - Mar 24, 2012
- Finance firms lead recruitment in IIM-C summer placements - Nov 12, 2009
- IIM-C's student executives from manufacturing recruited - Nov 25, 2009
- ISB records 22 percent increase in placement offers - Apr 06, 2011
- Salary packages of IIM-C graduates down 23 percent - Mar 10, 2009
- IIM-Calcutta to tap corporates for funds - Sep 23, 2011
- IIM-Calcutta gets a gift of knowledge from alumni - Sep 01, 2011
- With 100 percent placement, cheer at youngest IIM - Mar 31, 2010
Tags: average salary, c campus, deloitte, downturn, economic condition, global nature, iim calcutta, indian institute of management, indian institute of management calcutta, institute of management, international jobs, lakh, marketing industry, mckinsey and co, post graduate, sales and marketing, tata consultancy services, tata consultancy services tcs, tata teleservices, tech mahindra