No direct link between rate hike and inflation: PranabNovember 29th, 2011 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 29 (IANS) With inflation remaining stubbornly near double digits in the last two years despite an aggressive monetary tightening policy by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Tuesday admitted that there was no direct link to prove that interest rate hikes helped ease price rise.
“There is, as such, no direct one-to-one correspondence between the quantum of increase in interest rates and reduction in the level of inflation,” Mukherjee said in written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha.
The RBI has raised key policy rates five times in the current financial year and 13 times since the beginning of 2010 to control price rise. However, inflation has remained stubbornly high despite such aggressive monetary tightening.
The finance minister said the RBI’s move was aimed not only to control “inflationary pressures” but also “inflation expectations”.
“Monetary policy rate hikes seek to affect the macro economy through a compression in aggregate demand, aimed at not only controlling inflation pressures, but also inflation expectations,” Mukherjee said.
The headline inflation based on the wholesale price index was recorded at 9.73 percent in October. Food inflation was at 9.01 percent for the week ended Nov 12, according to the latest official data.
- Inflation still at 'unacceptable' level: Pranab - Dec 15, 2011
- Interest rate hike will hurt growth, fears FICCI - Jun 15, 2011
- Rate hike will bring down inflation, hopes Pranab - Sep 16, 2011
- Inter-ministerial group discusses inflation - Sep 02, 2011
- Government banks on monsoon, rate hikes to tame inflation - Aug 16, 2011
- Higher food prices push inflation to 9.73 percent - Nov 14, 2011
- Rate hike will bring down inflation to 6 percent: Pranab - Jul 26, 2011
- RBI set to again hike rates to tame inflation - Oct 24, 2011
- Inflation falls to two-year low in December (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2012
- Rate hike will hurt growth, feels India Inc - Jul 26, 2011
- RBI'S interest rate hikes for taming inflation: Meena - Aug 05, 2011
- After petrol prices, higher interest rates set to bite - Sep 16, 2011
- India's central bank likely to raise rates Thursday - Jun 15, 2011
- Food inflation rises to 9.80 percent; Pranab expresses concern - Aug 25, 2011
- Police rates hiked to tame inflation: RBI - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,