Nivedita Bhasin becomes first woman B-787 Dreamliner pilotSeptember 20th, 2012 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 20 (IANS) Senior Air India pilot Capt Nivedita Bhasin has become the first woman to command the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner which landed in New Delhi Wednesday, an airline official said.
Bhasin, 50, brought the sleek new Dreamliner aircraft (VT-AND), the second to be inducted by Air India, from US’ Charleston to the Indian capital, as the only trained woman pilot in the world for the B-787.
Incidentally, Bhasin, who joined the erstwhile Indian Airlines, now merged into a common entity Air India, in 1984, had created world aviation history by commanding a commercial jetliner at the age of 26 on Jan 1, 1990, on the Mumbai-Aurangabad-Udaipur sector.
While the first B-787 arrived in India Sep 8 and the second Wednesday), the third B-787 is expected to arrive in India by the month-end while five more are likely to join Air India fleet by the end of this year.
Air India launched its first commercial service Wednesday with the B-787 flying between New Delhi-Chennai and then it was deployed on the Delhi-Bangalore route.
The carrier will receive a total 27 B-787s — advanced, fuel efficient and eco-friendly aircraft capable of flying up to 16,000 kms non-stop — over the next five years.
Nivedita lives with her husband, Capt Rohit Bhasin, and their two children in New Delhi.
- Air India gets second Dreamliner, plans to start new routes - Sep 19, 2012
- Air India's Dreamliner to be in service from Sep 19 - Sep 12, 2012
- Court restrains Air India pilots' illegal strike (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Won't interfere with Air India pilots' training: Delhi High Court - May 11, 2012
- Air India's first Dreamliner arrives after 4-year wait - Sep 08, 2012
- India expects to induct first 787 Dreamliner this month - Aug 19, 2012
- Pilots' wage parity process has started, court told - Sep 04, 2012
- Striking pilots can't get advanced aircraft training: court - May 30, 2012
- AI's contingency plan in place, only one flight cancelled - May 16, 2012
- Air India grounds bulk of Boeing 777 fleet - May 11, 2012
Tags: air india, airline official, aviation history, bangalore, bhasin, boeing, boeing 787 dreamliner, chennai, commercial jetliner, first woman, fleet, indian airlines, New Delhi, next five years, pilot capt, rohit, woman pilot, world aviation