Nitish orders inquiry into fake school admissionJanuary 13th, 2012 - 3:47 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Jan 13 (IANS) Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Friday ordered an inquiry into incidents of fake admissions in schools for availing benefits such as free uniform, cycle, mid-day meal and scholarship.
Education department officials said that till date 336,000 fake admissions had come to light in less than a dozen districts.
The principal secretary in the education department, Anjani Kumar Singh, said the fake admissions were exposed following a special drive.
“It was shocking to find a student’s name in more than one or two schools. Even attendance figure were less than the number of students in admission registers,” he said.
Singh told IANS that if a student took government doles from two schools, action would be taken against his or her parents.
The department has decided to withhold the salary of a dozen teachers in Sasaram.
“Admission of fake students has been cancelled and action initiated against teachers suspected to be involved in the racket,” Omprash Singh, a district education official, said.
In Banka, around 70,000 fake admissions were reported, followed by about 57,000 in West Champaran, 53,000 in Sitamarhi, 50,000 in Rohtas, 34,000 in Katihar, 33,000 in Muzaffarpur, 32,000 in Jamui, 4,000 in Darbhanga and some 3,000 in Kaimur.
The government has cancelled all fake admissions in these districts.
In a bid to woo more students from poor families to schools, the government is giving out bicycles to those above Class 9.
Human Resource Development Minister P.K. Sahi says now cycles and uniforms will be given after six month attendance record.
- Bihar withholds pay of 300 teachers for fake admissions - Jan 14, 2012
- Satellite phones to help Bihar fight Maoists, floods - Apr 23, 2012
- Bihar axes appointment of 11 school teachers - May 30, 2012
- Maoists luring villagers to grow poppy in Bihar - Feb 19, 2012
- Teacher arrested in Bihar for helping Maoists - Jun 02, 2011
- Maharashtra probing 140,000 fake school students scam - Sep 15, 2011
- Storm kills 17 people in Bihar - May 07, 2010
- Bihar launches education quality campaign - Sep 05, 2011
- Nearly 12,000 Right to Education violations in Delhi - Mar 27, 2011
- Fill vacant seats for poor students in summer vacations: Court - Apr 20, 2012
- 151 Bihar primary teachers fail test, sacked - Apr 19, 2012
- Now, tigers and leopards targeted by Maoists - Sep 12, 2012
- Delhi to recruit 13,000 teachers - Nov 11, 2011
- No guest teachers to be removed: Hooda - Nov 07, 2010
- Some children still study under a tree in 21 century India - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: anjani, attendance figure, attendance record, banka, bicycles, champaran, chief minister, darbhanga, development minister, district education, doles, dozen teachers, education department officials, education official, human resource development, mid day, poor families, principal secretary, sahi, school admission