Nissan to make new car in ChennaiOctober 18th, 2008 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Oct 18 (IANS) Japanese auto major Nissan Motor Co will make next generation March model at its Orgadam plant near here, built in partnership with French car maker Renault, a top official said Saturday. The joint venture company Renault Nissan Automotive India Ltd (RNAI) is investing around Rs.40 billion ($833 million) in the plant, which has a total capacity of 400,000 units.
“We will roll out the small car from our Chennai plant while the plant in Thailand is the mother unit for that model,” RNAI managing director Shouhei Kimura told reporters.
He said construction work was progressing at the plant site.
“The foundation for stamping unit and paint shop has been laid. Excavation work for constructing other units are on,” Kimura added.
According to him, around 50 vendors will set up their operations near the car plant, including some overseas companies like Unipress Sheet Metal Press.
Nissan Motor India Ltd has tied up with Hover Automotive India Ltd to take care of the car distribution in the country. The company plans to have 55 dealers by 2012.
Expected to start commercial production by 2010, Nissan plans to ship out 110,000 cars, primarily to Europe from 2011 through the Ennore port.
“We plan to increase exports to 180,000 units from India over a period of time,” said Nissan Motor corporate vice-president Toshifumi Hirai.
A memorandum of understanding (MOU) to this effect was signed between Nissan Motors and Ennore Port Ltd. The exports would include the next generation small cars.
- Nissan Motor ships out 3,866 Micras - Oct 05, 2010
- Renault-Nissan alliance crosses 100,000-engine-mark - Aug 26, 2011
- Top level changes at Nissan India, Renault Nissan - Mar 23, 2012
- Renault-Nissan India appoints new chief executive - Apr 20, 2011
- Nissan Motor to ramp up distribution - Dec 13, 2010
- Nissan to make diesel engines in India - Nov 17, 2011
- Hover plans to sell 100,000 Nissan cars - Sep 22, 2011
- Renault Nissan Automotive to double capacity, hire 500 - Jan 26, 2012
- Eaton in talks with car makers for its superchargers - Sep 06, 2011
- Chennai Port to create capacity to facilitate car exports - Feb 22, 2010
- Ashok Leyland may get into car manufacturing with Nissan - Mar 04, 2010
- Nissan premiers compact car Micra in Geneva, to be rolled out from India - Mar 02, 2010
- Renault-Nissan starts commercial production of Micra - May 24, 2010
- Renault-Nissan's Indian plant to cater to Danone's mega order - Jul 05, 2012
- Nissan unveils multi-purpose vehicle Evalia - Jan 05, 2012