Nissan, Daimler eye joint plant in MexicoNovember 17th, 2011 - 11:38 am ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Nov 17 (IANS/EFE) Japanese automaker Nissan and Germany’s Daimler are mulling plans for a joint factory in Mexico with the capacity to produce up to 200,000 vehicles annually for the US market, the financial daily Nikkei reported.
The two firms are in advanced talks on the plant, which is expected to cost approximately $1 billion and begin churning out vehicles in mid-2014, the Japanese newspaper said Wednesday.
Under the proposed joint venture, the Japanese automaker would be in charge of building the plant while Daimler would take a capital stake in the operating company, according to Nikkei.
The location for the plant, which could manufacture Infiniti and Mercedes-Benz vehicles, the luxury lines of Nissan and Daimler, respectively, is to be decided before the year’s end.
Nissan already has two plants in Mexico in the central cities of Aguascalientes and Cuernavaca that manufactured some 500,000 vehicles in the 2010 fiscal year, primarily for export to the US.
Daimler’s Mexican subsidiary, Grupo Daimler, oversees three business units, including Mercedes-Benz Mexico.
The new Mexican plant would provide several key competitive advantages to the automakers, including the ability to share investment costs, reduce expenditures on parts and promote technological cooperation, Nikkei reported.
In 2010, the Renault-Nissan alliance and Daimler signed a strategic accord to promote the joint development of small eco-friendly vehicles, reduce costs and gain market share in that segment.
- Nissan expects production boost from $2 bn plant in Mexico - Jul 11, 2012
- Renault, Nissan and Daimler to swap shares, launch cars - Apr 07, 2010
- Nissan to build new $2 bn plant in Mexico - Jan 27, 2012
- Renault-Nissan's Indian plant to cater to Danone's mega order - Jul 05, 2012
- Japanese steelmaker to build plant in central Mexico - Aug 08, 2012
- Japanese firm to invest $70 mn in new plant in Mexico - Feb 14, 2012
- Renault-Nissan, Daimler to announce alliance Wednesday - Apr 07, 2010
- Daimler to beef up its R&D; activities in India (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Mercedes to increase investments to Rs.850 crore - Sep 05, 2012
- Renault-Nissan in talks with Ashok Leyland for making cars - Mar 17, 2010
- Honda to invest $800 mn in Mexico - Aug 14, 2011
- Nissan to invest $1.4 bn in new plant in Brazil - Oct 07, 2011
- Mercedes to get $700 mn from Brazilian bank - Jan 06, 2010
- Mercedes-Benz to expand Brazilian production unit - Mar 07, 2010
- Argentina looks to stem imports of Mexican-made autos - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: aguascalientes, automakers, business units, central cities, competitive advantages, cuernavaca, daimler, efe, gain market share, investment costs, japanese automaker, joint venture, luxury lines, mercedes benz, mercedes benz mexico, mercedes benz vehicles, mexican subsidiary, nikkei, renault nissan, technological cooperation