Nine companies apply for 3GMarch 19th, 2010 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) Nine telecom operators, including market leaders Bharti Airtel and Reliance Communications, have applied for radio frequency spectrum to provide third generation (3G) telephony.
“Nine companies have applied for 3G,” a department of telecommunications (DoT) official said here Friday, the last day for submitting applications.
For broadband services, the department has received applications from 11 companies, including Bharti Airtel, Qualcomm, Tata Communications, Tikona and Vodafone.
“We have applied for 3G as well as broadband wireless access services,” an Airtel spokesperson told IANS.
The government hopes to garner Rs.35,000 crore ($7.69 billion) from the spectrum auction that will begin next month.
The two state-run telecom companies, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd, already have licences for 3G services. Both have been offering the service in their operating circles for the last one year.
Third generation telecom services allow faster connectivity than what is available now, and will enable applications such as Internet TV, video-on-demand, audio-video calls and high-speed data exchange.
- Five companies apply for 3G spectrum - Mar 18, 2010
- All 9 telecom companies qualify for 3G spectrum auction - Mar 30, 2010
- Nine telecom companies apply for 3G (lead) - Mar 19, 2010
- Auction of 3G spectrum kicks off Friday - Apr 08, 2010
- 3G spectrum auction kicks off, 5 rounds completed (Roundup) - Apr 09, 2010
- Delhi attracts highest bids on second day of 3G spectrum auction - Apr 10, 2010
- 3G spectrum auction kicks off, first round completed - Apr 09, 2010
- '3G auction completion takes India a step forward' - May 19, 2010
- Sibal to launch Bharti Airtel's 4G services Tuesday - Apr 09, 2012
- Auction for BWA begins; Rs.15,000 crore expected - May 24, 2010
- India's 3G airwaves auction concludes, to fetch some $15.5 bn - May 19, 2010
- Minimum Rs.25,000 cr revenue from 3G auction for government - Apr 20, 2010
- Huawei to manage Bharti Airtel's 4G network in Karnataka - May 01, 2012
- Government kitty swells $15 bn as telcos pay for 3G spectrum - May 31, 2010
- Revenue from 3G auction crosses Rs.65,000 crore mark - May 17, 2010
Tags: 3g services, access services, airtel, broadband wireless, data exchange, dot official, generation telecom, high speed data, internet tv, mahanagar telephone nigam, mahanagar telephone nigam ltd, market leaders, nine companies, radio frequency spectrum, sanchar nigam ltd, spectrum auction, telecom companies, telecom operators, telecom services, third generation