Nikki Haley spreads welcome mat for Indian companiesMarch 7th, 2012 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 7 (IANS) Keen to expand trade contacts with India, South Carolina’s Indian American governor Nikki Haley has assured Indian companies the required infrastructural assistance to establish themselves in the state.
Born Nimrata Nikki Randhawa to Sikh immigrant parents, the first Indian American governor of a US State held out the assurance to the Indian ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao during a recent visit to South Carolina.
Rao, according to the Indian Embassay had extensive discussions with Haley and South Carolina Commerce Secretary Robert Hitt.
The Governor also expressed her willingness to host any Indian business delegation visiting the US for consultations.
Praisung the role of the Indian American community in promoting India-US relations, Haley said she was keen to expand trade contacts with India.
South Carolina has a business-friendly atmosphere Haley said pointing to the existence of major industries like the BMW, Boeing, Michelin, a well developed Information Technology sector and Research and Development Centres, renowned Institutes of Higher Education and a major port like the Charleston Port.
Rao in turn also expressed a desire to expand ties between India and South Carolina and said India would like to avail of the experience of the State in the field of infrastructure development, education and research & development.
Informing Haley of her popularity in India, she invited the Governor to visit India, which could pave way for Indian businesses, which are already established in 43 US States, to also look at South Carolina as an investment and business destination.
According yo US commerce department figures, US imports from India via South Carolina grew by 47.157 percent from $ 557 million during the year 2010 to $ 820 million during the year 2011. India ranks 9th in terms of US imports from different countries through South Carolina.
Exports from South Carolina to India grew by 26.19 percent from $ 491 million during the year 2010 to $ 619 million during the year 2011. India ranks as 7th largest destination of US exports through South Carolina.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- South Carolina want to partner with India: Nikki Haley - Mar 02, 2012
- Nikki slams Obama as Romney clinches nomination - Aug 29, 2012
- Nikki Haley skips White House dinner to meet friends - Feb 28, 2012
- Nikki Haley, daughter of Sikh parents, is South Carolina's first woman governor (Night Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Nikki Haley hit by Time, Twitter (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Nikki Haley says no to Veep - Aug 19, 2011
- Air India gets first Dreamliner from Nikki Haley's state - Apr 28, 2012
- Nikki Haley publishing her memoir - Jul 01, 2011
- Indian-Americans get prime spots at US presidential conventions - Aug 21, 2012
- Nikki Haley cashing in on union bashing video - May 24, 2012
- Indian-American Nikki Haley set to become South Carolina governor - Jan 12, 2011
- Nikki Haley becomes first Indian-American woman governor (Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Gingrich wins key Republican primary in South Carolina - Jan 22, 2012
- Will you give more tip to Sikh drivers, Nikki Haley asked - Apr 10, 2012
- Will Nikki Haley pay for backing Mitt Romney? - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: american governor, business delegation, business destination, carolina exports, commerce secretary, development education, haley, immigrant parents, india ranks, india south, indian ambassador, indian business, indian businesses, information technology sector, infrastructure development, michelin, randhawa, secretary robert, us commerce department, welcome mat