Nigeria approves $1.5 bn for railway projectJuly 19th, 2012 - 1:17 pm ICT by IANS
Abuja, July 19 (IANS) The Nigerian government has approved $1.5 billion for a railway network modernisation project.
The southwestern Lagos-Ibadan double track railway line modernization is one of the west African country’s major railway projects in recent times, Xinhua reported.
Information Minister Labaran Maku said the approval followed a memorandum presented to the government on the project.
Noting that the rail project was in 2006 awarded to the China Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC) Ltd but could not be completed due to paucity of funds, the minister said it would now be executed in six phases.
The project which is expected to be completed in 36 months and generate more than 5,000 jobs in the country, would cover 2,733 km.
“The standard gauge line which the government approved is going to run between Lagos, Ibadan, Ilorin, Minna and Kano. There would also be a phase that will take off from Minna to Abuja,” Maku said.
- Lack of funds delay railway projects: Minister - Aug 12, 2011
- Hundreds feared dead after Nigerian jet crashes in Lagos - Jun 04, 2012
- Indian killed, six Indians hurt in Nigeria terror attack (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Nigeria terror: Government to bring home Indian's body - Jan 23, 2012
- Kerala engineer dies in Nigerian air crash - Jun 04, 2012
- Indian among 160 killed in Nigeria terror attack (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Nigerian plane with 153 aboard crashes - Jun 03, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 7 - Mar 14, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 6 - Mar 14, 2012
- 45 Chinese arrested in Nigeria - May 24, 2012
- Jharkhand, railways sign MOU - Feb 15, 2012
- Indian, 161 others die in Mumbai-style Nigeria terror (Third Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Several injured in Nigeria blast - Feb 20, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 5 - Mar 14, 2012
- Nigeria suspends airline firm's operations after crash - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: bn, china, civil engineering construction, construction company, gauge line, information minister, jobs, lagos, memorandum, minna, modernization, nigeria, nigerian government, paucity, railway line, railway network, railway project, railway projects, standard gauge, xinhua