NIFT to collaborate with US fashion technology instituteOctober 18th, 2011 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 18 (IANS) The government-run National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) said Tuesday it has signed an agreement with New York-based Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) to run dual-degree programmes.
Now the “selected meritorious” students from NIFT would avail the unique opportunity to obtain a joint degree awarded both by NIFT and FIT.
“The association of two premier fashion institutes would reap benefits which would be multifold in nature,” an official statement said.
However, the institute did not give the timeline regarding the implementation of the agreement.
“This agreement will be implemented at the earliest for the benefit of NIFT students.”
“It will usher in new paradigmatic changes in the vision and activities of NIFT,” Commerce, Industry and Textiles Minister Anand Sharma said in a statement.
In fact, NIFT was established in 1986 in collaboration with the FIT with assistance from United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The New Delhi-based institute runs under the textiles ministry.
A delegation from NIFT recently visited the FIT to explore the possible areas of collaboration.
According to the statement, the two institutes have agreed to collaborate in the areas of fashion design, textile design and fashion communication.
- IIM-Lucknow signs accord with US B-school - Sep 01, 2011
- Fashion institute set up to revive silk sector of Sualkuchi - Mar 26, 2011
- Fashion institute branch in Himachal to start doctorate degrees - Aug 05, 2009
- IGNOU, FDDI launch 8 new courses - May 03, 2011
- India has potential to increase its textile share in world trade: Dayanadhi Maran - Nov 02, 2010
- Getting craftspeople connected to mainstream fashion - Jul 11, 2011
- NIFT Students To Represent India At Montana World Of Wearable Arts Show - Jul 29, 2010
- French design school Lisaa opens first branch in India - Jul 22, 2011
- Jindal Global Law School signs MoUs with leading US law schools - Apr 12, 2012
- Italian knowhow for aspiring designers in India - Jun 05, 2011
- Punjab government allows NIIFT merger with NIFT - Aug 18, 2010
- List of India-Bangladesh pacts signed Tuesday - Sep 06, 2011
- Humble rickshaws to get designer makeover for Games (With images) - May 19, 2010
- India, UNDP to sign framework pact - Mar 13, 2012
- Framework for vocational education launched - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: anand sharma, commerce industry, degree programmes, dual degree, fashion communication, fashion design, fashion institute of technology, fashion institute of technology fit, fashion institutes, institute of technology, meritorious students, national institute of fashion technology, New Delhi, nift, paradigmatic changes, technology institute, textile design, undp, united nations development, united nations development programme