Nicaragua turns to Chinese firm to finance canal projectSeptember 8th, 2012 - 1:49 pm ICT by IANS
Managua, Sep 8 (IANS/EFE) Nicaragua has signed a memorandum of understanding with a Chinese company on financing for a $30 billion inter-oceanic canal, an official said.
The document was signed by Nicaraguan deputy foreign minister and president of the Grand Interoceanic Canal Authority, Manuel Coronel Kautz, and the head of the HK Nicaragua Development Inversion Company, Wing Jang, the official told EFE.
In the MOU, the Nicaraguan government authorized the Hong Kong-domiciled firm to structure and manage the financing for the project, President Daniel Ortega said in comments posted on the government web site El 19 Digital.
Nicaragua has also sought financing for the project from Brazil, China, Russia and Venezuela.
The Nicaraguan Congress, controlled by Ortega’s allies, approved a bill July 3 authorizing construction of the inter-oceanic canal project, a joint public/private venture in which the state will have a 51 percent stake and offer the remaining 49 percent to countries, international organisations, corporations or individuals.
Initial projections are that the canal could be partially completed by 2019, when it would have the capacity to accommodate 416 million metric tonnes, or 3.9 percent of global maritime cargo.
The canal construction zone also will be declared “of public use”, with owners of the affected properties to be compensated by the Nicaraguan government within a period of no more than 10 years.
Nicaragua is studying six potential routes, all of which traverse a section of Lake Nicaragua and one that would have ships navigate a portion of the San Juan river, the Nicaraguan-controlled waterway that forms the country’s border with Costa Rica.
Three Dutch companies currently are conducting pre-feasibility studies for the construction of the canal, the Nicaraguan government says.
- Nicaraguan women seek to restore legal abortion - Sep 29, 2010
- Nicaraguan president defends Iran nuclear programme - Jan 12, 2012
- Nicaragua exceeds one mn foreign tourists for first time - Dec 30, 2010
- Three Nicaragua cops dishonourably discharged - Sep 03, 2012
- Ricky Martin defends gay rights - Oct 16, 2011
- Phony news crew smuggles $9.2 mn into Nicaragua - Aug 28, 2012
- Nicaraguan diplomat found dead in NY apartment - Sep 24, 2010
- Nicaragua seizes over two tonnes of cocaine - Mar 06, 2012
- Google Maps error leads to Nicaraguan invasion of Costa Rica island - Nov 06, 2010
- Expansion work begins on Panama Canal - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: canal construction, canal project, china russia, chinese company, chinese firm, construction zone, daniel ortega, dutch companies, feasibility studies, initial projections, interoceanic canal, kautz, lake nicaragua, maritime cargo, memorandum of understanding, metric tonnes, nicaraguan government, president daniel ortega, private venture, san juan river