Neyveli Lignite workers to strike workJune 30th, 2010 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 30 (IANS) Two major unions of the Neyveli Lignite Corp Ltd (NLC) in Tamil Nadu have announced their decision to go on strike from Wednesday night after the failure of wage revision talks.
Around 2,000 police personnel have been deployed near the mines, power plant and the corporate office in a bid to prevent any violence.
The NLC management has told the state government the possibility of power disruption in the event of a strike.
The unions - linked to the PMK and the ruling DMK - represent a majority of the 14,000 permanent workers.
The bone of contention between the workers and the management is the effective date for the payment of increment to the workers.
“We want the increments - additional and service weightage increments - to be effective from Jan 1, 2007. The demand was earlier agreed by the company directors. Now the management wants to change the effective date to Sep 1, 2009,” a union leader told IANS from Neyveli over telephone.
An NLC official told IANS: “Increments and allowances are given only prospectively and not retrospectively.”
According to him, the company’s annual wage bill will go up by Rs.300 crore post the settlement which will be valid for five years.
- Neyveli Lignite workers call off strike after wage accord - Jul 06, 2010
- Neyveli workers' unions seek wage revision, threaten strike - May 31, 2010
- Raja seeks coal minister's intervention to end NLC strike - Jul 01, 2010
- DMK appeals to Neyveli contract workers to end strike - May 25, 2012
- Neyveli Lignite Corp strike to continue - Oct 26, 2010
- Neyveli Lignite workers' strike: Karunanidhi seeks PM's help - Oct 15, 2010
- Neyveli Lignite Corp to add 1,000 MW this fiscal - May 28, 2012
- Strike not to affect power generation at Neyveli Lignite - Sep 22, 2010
- Jayalalithaa supports striking Neyveli Lignite workers - Oct 12, 2010
- Neyveli Lignite to soon finalise power equipment suppliers - May 29, 2012
- Neyveli Lignite concludes bonus agreement with workers - Oct 09, 2009
- Neyveli Lignite denies fraud charges - Jul 05, 2011
- Strike at Neyveli Lignite enters - Oct 11, 2010
- Filing of case against top Neyveli Lignite official stayed - Jul 08, 2011
- Neyveli Lignite blames BHEL for production hitch - May 28, 2011
Tags: bone of contention, company directors, corp ltd, effective date, failure, increment, increments, nlc, pmk, power disruption, power plant, state government, tamil nadu, union leader, unions, violence, wage revision, wednesday night