Neyveli Lignite Corp strike to continueOctober 26th, 2010 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Oct 26 (IANS) The 36-day strike by contract workers of Neyveli Lignite Corp (NLC) is set to continue despite the request to resume work by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi Tuesday.
The trade unions requested Karunanidhi to urge the central government to take necessary action to help end the strike.
At a meeting with the striking unions, Karunanidhi cited the increase in daily wages by Rs.40, washing allowance by Rs.15 to Rs.25 and 8.33 percent bonus plus Rs.500 special payment while asking them to return to work.
The union leaders insisted that the company should revise the wages and absorb contract workers who have completed 10 years of service.
Karunanidhi promised to write to the central government but asked the unions to create a conducive atmosphere by resuming work.
The unions argued that withdrawing the strike based on assurance “without any concrete gains is a difficult proposition”.
The contract workers struck work Sep 19. But the contract workers union affiliated to the ruling DMK pulled out after signing a pact with the NLC. Other unions have continued their protest.
- Neyveli Lignite workers' strike: Karunanidhi seeks PM's help - Oct 15, 2010
- DMK appeals to Neyveli contract workers to end strike - May 25, 2012
- Strike at Neyveli Lignite enters - Oct 11, 2010
- Neyveli Lignite workers call off strike after wage accord - Jul 06, 2010
- Jayalalithaa supports striking Neyveli Lignite workers - Oct 12, 2010
- Strike not to affect power generation at Neyveli Lignite - Sep 22, 2010
- Neyveli workers' unions seek wage revision, threaten strike - May 31, 2010
- Raja seeks coal minister's intervention to end NLC strike - Jul 01, 2010
- Neyveli Lignite concludes bonus agreement with workers - Oct 09, 2009
- Neyveli Lignite workers to strike work - Jun 30, 2010
- Neyveli Lignite Corp to add 1,000 MW this fiscal - May 28, 2012
- CBI raids Neyveli Lignite official's house - Mar 23, 2011
- Neyveli Lignite denies fraud charges - Jul 05, 2011
- Neyveli Lignite to expand its thermal power projects in Tamil Nadu - Jan 10, 2012
- Filing of case against top Neyveli Lignite official stayed - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: 10 years of service, bonus, central government, chief minister, conducive atmosphere, contract workers, m karunanidhi, nlc, pact, protest, rs 40, striking unions, tamil nadu, trade unions, union leaders, wages, workers union