Newspapers not responsible for advertisers’ claims: CourtDecember 24th, 2008 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 24 (IANS) Newspapers and periodicals cannot be held responsible if there is a defect in a consumer product whose advertisements are printed in their pages, the Delhi High court has held.Justice Pradeep Nandrajog set aside a trial court order that had directed newspapers to issue a disclaimer saying that ‘qualities of products advertised in their dailies are not guaranteed by the newspaper’.
“We set aside the impugned judgment directing the appellant (newspaper organisations) to issue a caution along with each advertisement stating that features or qualities are not guaranteed by the newspaper,” the court said last week.
The case pertains to Rajan Verma who had purchased a Nokia mobile phone that turned out to be defective. He approached a trial court seeking a compensation of Rs.327,000 after the company failed to rectify the fault.
He also sought direction to the newspapers publishing Nokia products’ advertisements as they were allegedly promoting false and misleading claims of the manufacturer.
The trial court, after hearing his contention, had directed the company to pay Rs.127,000 to the complainant and also directed the newspapers to issue a caution along with advertisements.
Media organisations then approached the high court, which has now struck down the trial court’s direction.
- Court quashes man's life term for dowry death - Oct 27, 2011
- 95-year-old woman gets life term for killing daughter-in-law - Oct 18, 2011
- Use discretion to further ends of justice: Apex court - Nov 07, 2011
- Bhopal case verdict review a judicial compulsion: Apex court told - Apr 19, 2011
- Larger apex court bench to decide Pakistani accused's plea (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Trial judge faces high court flak for poor knowledge - May 13, 2010
- Dikshit gets court notice on BJP leader's plea - Jul 10, 2012
- Don't burden fellow judges: Apex court (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Transgender held for begging set free by court - Jun 18, 2011
- Trial court told to decide rape case afresh - Jul 26, 2010
- Court paves way for release of documentary on Kabir - Mar 09, 2011
- SC favours early hearing on detenu's plea - Jul 28, 2012
- Punjab Police to register cases of fraud recruitment ads - Jul 06, 2012
- High court orders retrial of murder case - Mar 31, 2010
- High court pulls up trial judge, acquits murder accused - Jun 08, 2010