New Zealand service sector struggling to expandJanuary 30th, 2012 - 3:18 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, Jan 30 (IANS) New Zealand’s service sector is struggling and will continue to struggle in the near future, an industry leader said Monday on the release of the latest Performance of Services Index (PSI).
The BNZ-Business New Zealand PSI figure for December was just 50.6, down from 56.2 in November and down 0.2 points from the October figure, reported Xinhua.
A PSI figure above 50 indicates expansion, and below 50 a decline.
The December figure was also below the 2011 PSI average of 52.6 and the 2010 average of 53.2, but it was above the 2009 figure of 48.8.
Business New Zealand chief executive Phil O’Reilly said both the PSI and the Performance of Manufacturing Index (PMI) have ended 2011 with “more of a whimper than a bang”.
“While the PSI has now remained in positive territory for 26 consecutive months, it has struggled to push any higher than moderate levels of expansion,” said O’Reilly in a statement from Business New Zealand.
“The results for December and October indicate that the sector may struggle for stronger expansion in the near future.”
BNZ bank senior economist Craig Ebert said the December PSI gave a sense of “ongoing progression”, underscored by its employment component remaining in expansion.
“This survey’s constructive view on staffing is encouraging, and corresponds with other surveys produced in the last couple of months, all signalling ongoing growth on the jobs front,” he said in the statement.
Only three of the five sub-indices showed expansion in December: new orders-business, which was 53.6, employment at 52.7, and stocks-inventories at 51.9.
Activity-sales was 49.7, in decline for the first time since July 2010, while supplier deliveries at 48.6 was in contraction for the first time since March 2011.
- China's non-manufacturing sector slows in April (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- US service sector grows at slowest pace in 18 months - Aug 04, 2011
- Growth of US manufacturing sector slows - Nov 02, 2011
- China's non-manufacturing sector growth goes up (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- US manufacturing slows - Aug 02, 2011
- US service sector grows in June - Jul 06, 2012
- Growth slows in US service sector - Dec 06, 2011
- Rachel Maddow takes on Bill O'Reilly yet again - Aug 09, 2010
- China's non-manufacturing sector growth slows in August - Sep 03, 2011
- Australian services sector expands in January - Feb 03, 2012
- Bill O'Reilly talks about Angelina Jolie's Oscar pose - Feb 29, 2012
- China's manufacturing expands in April - May 01, 2012
- O'Reilly's 'Muslims killed us on 9/11' remark prompts Whoopi to walk off - Oct 15, 2010
- Bill O'Reilly defends himself after 'Muslims killed us on 9/11' comment - Oct 16, 2010
- China non-manufacturing sector's growth slows - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: business new, chief executive, constructive view, contraction, craig, decline, ebert, economist, industry leader, inventories, moderate levels, o reilly, pmi, psi, service sector, services index, supplier deliveries, wellington, whimper, xinhua