New York Times launches India-focussed websiteSeptember 12th, 2011 - 1:40 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 12 (IANS) With American print media in decline with advertising revenues migrating to digital platforms, The New York Times has launched an English-language website called “India Ink” targeted at the growing media market in India and South Asia.
“India is a vibrant country with a wealth of urgent news and compelling stories,” said Jill Abramson, executive editor of the New York Times. “India Ink is an exciting expansion of The Times’s global reach.”
“Expanded coverage of India is a natural fit for The New York Times and its global edition, the IHT,” said Stephen Dunbar-Johnson, publisher of the International Herald Tribune.
“We are delighted to better serve our readers and advertisers in India and abroad who care deeply about news in the region.”
The site, nytimes.com/indiaink, will offer news and analysis about Indian politics, culture, business, sports and lifestyle, providing a “distinct perspective on the news and events that matter most to Indians and those who follow news about India, both on the subcontinent and abroad”, the influential US daily announced Sunday.
Initially, access to India Ink will be exempt from the Times’s digital subscription packages.
India Ink is edited by the The New York Times in India and the International Herald Tribune (IHT) in Hong Kong, led by lead writer Heather Timmons, who has covered business in India for the daily for the last four years.
It features contributions from the journalists based in New Delhi and Mumbai as well as contributions from top writers in India and the Indian diaspora, the Times said.
- 100,000 paid subscribers for NYTimes.com - Apr 22, 2011
- New York Times to be run by a woman for first time - Jun 03, 2011
- Go Indian to go global, fashion editor tells Indian designers - Mar 24, 2009
- New York Times to charge for online content in 2011 - Jan 20, 2010
- Award-winning US reporter dies - Feb 18, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi ranked world's sixth most powerful woman - Aug 22, 2012
- More foreign magazines set to launch Indian editions - Sep 30, 2011
- New York Times to charge online readers - Mar 18, 2011
- New York Times drops visitors but retains top news website ranking - May 18, 2009
- Wikipedia, Google join anti-piracy bill protest (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- New York Times launches Times Skimmer for a fast-paced world - Dec 03, 2009
- Carol Burnett to be back on 'All My Children' - Sep 07, 2011
- Siddhartha Mukherjee, 19 others win Light of India awards - Jun 05, 2012
- Al-Qaeda calls for terror attack on crowded Washington restaurant at lunch hour - Oct 12, 2010
- US-based writer documents India's reinvention - Mar 04, 2011
Tags: advertising revenues, culture business, digital platforms, digital subscription, distinct perspective, global edition, iht, india and south asia, india ink, indiaink, indian diaspora, indian politics, international herald tribune, jill abramson, natural fit, new york times, stephen dunbar, subscription packages, urgent news, vibrant country