New York Governor, mayor set 2011 target for World Trade Center memorialJuly 19th, 2008 - 5:34 pm ICT by ANI
New York, July 19 (ANI): New York Governor David Paterson and the city’’s mayor, Michael R. Bloomberg have agreed that a memorial for victims of the 9/11 terrorist attack should come up by 2011 at “Ground Zero”.
“I mentioned that to the mayor, and he agreed wholeheartedly,” Paterson said after a half-hour City Hall meeting with Bloomberg.
“I wanted him to know that if we can agree, we”d work on both ends to try to make that happen. We (will) be going in a direction that I think all New Yorkers would be proud of,” the New York Daily News quoted Governor Paterson, as saying.
Paterson said that while the PATH station and the commercial projects planned for the site were also important, finishing the memorial will send a powerful message to the people of New York.
Earlier, on his weekly radio show, Bloomberg endorsed the 10th anniversary goal and said he had discussed it Thursday with Port Authority Executive Director Christopher Ward.
Mayor Bloomberg chairs the National September 11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center, which raised the 350 million dollars necessary for building the complex and is now raising money for a museum endowment.
Bloomberg endorsed the 10th anniversary goal at the group’’s board meeting at Gracie Mansion on Thursday night, group President Joe Daniels told the New York Daily News.
“The foundations and footings for the memorial are near completion and steel will be arriving soon, so that we can lay the groundwork at the memorial site for a publicly accessible and appropriate tribute on the 10th anniversary of September 11,” Ward said. (ANI)
- NYC Mayor Bloomberg to preside over gay wedding - Jul 08, 2011
- 9/11 memorial in New York opens to public - Sep 13, 2011
- Ground Zero mosque overshadows 9/11 anniversary - Sep 07, 2010
- US President Barack Obama read the psalm 46 at 9/11 anniversary - Sep 13, 2011
- Future 9/11 ceremonies may not include reading of names - Sep 11, 2011
- Ninth 9/11 anniversary marked by controversy as relatives gather - Sep 11, 2010
- US reveals 'credible but unconfirmed' terror threat - Sep 09, 2011
- Veterans Day Parade 2009 in NYC - Nov 12, 2009
- Developer of mosque near Ground Zero may build center elsewhere - Aug 13, 2010
- New York Governor Paterson to meet with 'Ground Zero mosque' developers to discuss possible relocation - Aug 18, 2010
- New 9/11 memorial to open by 2011 - Sep 26, 2008
- 9/11 memorial to need $60 mn a year to run - Sep 10, 2012
- US remembers the day that changed their lives - Sep 12, 2011
- 2014 Super Bowl to be held in New York/New Jersey - May 26, 2010
- 'Backbone' of twin towers returns to 9/11 site - Sep 08, 2010
Tags: 10th anniversary, commercial projects, david paterson, footings, gracie mansion, group president, joe daniels, mayor bloomberg, new york daily news, night group, path station, president joe, raising money, s board, september 11 memorial, target, weekly radio show, world trade center memorial, york daily news, york governor