New terminal at Delhi airport becomes operationalApril 19th, 2009 - 2:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 19 (IANS) The new domestic departure terminal of the Indira Gandhi International airport become operational here Sunday with an Indigo flight taking off for Guwahati early in the morning.
A spokesperson of airport developer Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL), a GMR-led consortium, told IANS: “The first Indigo flight for Guwahati took off at 5.30 a.m. This was followed by another Indigo flight and then a Kingfisher flight.
“Everything is functioning smoothly at the new terminal,” the spokesperson added.
With the inauguration, Kingfisher Airlines, its low-cost carrier Kingfisher Red and Indigo Airlines have begun to operate from the new domestic terminal (1D) from Sunday.
Jet Airways and its low-cost carrier JetLite, as well as SpiceJet will begin operating from the new terminal later this month.
Earlier, Kingfisher used to operate from terminal IA along with Air India, while the others operated from terminal 1B.
The new terminal was inaugurated Feb 26 by Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel.
By the end of this fiscal, Air India, Kingfisher and Jet Airways will shift to the upcoming T3 integrated terminal, while terminal 1D will be for low-cost carriers.
Built at a cost of Rs.500 crore ($100 million), terminal 1D will be able to handle 10 million passengers annually and is equipped with 72 check-in counters, its developers said.
- Flights take off from new domestic terminal at Delhi (Lead) - Apr 19, 2009
- Kingfisher's market share falls to fifth place in November - Dec 22, 2011
- Terminal 3 to welcome domestic flights from Oct 30 - Oct 18, 2010
- Air passenger traffic falls for second straight month - Jul 18, 2012
- IndiGo begins international operations - Sep 01, 2011
- DIAL decision on integrated terminal next month - Dec 17, 2010
- Air India recorded highest number of cancellations in April - May 17, 2012
- Air India recorded highest number of cancellations in May - Jun 18, 2012
- Kingfisher, Indigo to shift to new terminal from Sunday - Apr 17, 2009
- Domestic January-March air growth at 6.55 percent - Apr 18, 2012
- Jet Airways' market share 26.1 percent in February - Mar 23, 2011
- Kingfisher tops in unused flight slots, says Ravi - Nov 30, 2011
- Full scale domestic operations commence at T3 - Nov 14, 2010
- Jet Airways No.1 domestic airline for sixth straight month - Apr 15, 2010
- Delhi's new terminal to start operations April 19 - Apr 14, 2009
Tags: 1d, air india, civil aviation, delhi airport, delhi international, departure terminal, domestic departure, inauguration, indigo airlines, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, international airport ltd, jet airways, kingfisher, kingfisher airlines, kingfisher flight, low cost carrier, low cost carriers, praful patel, rs 500