New sub-machinegun can pierce bullet-proof jackets: DRDOFebruary 17th, 2010 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 17 (IANS) India’s Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) says it has developed a modern sub-machinegun (SMG) that will be extremely useful in anti-terror operations as its ammunition is capable of piercing bullet-proof jackets.
“The SMG is 100 percent indigenous and specially designed to fight against militants in close combat. Its ammunition can pierce through bullet-proof jackets,” a DRDO official told IANS at the DefExpo 2010 land and naval systems exhibition here.
“The weapon incorporates a laser sight and has an effective range of 200 metres,” the official added.
“It is very light in weight and can be used as a single and multiple shot weapon,” the official said, adding that in rapid mode, it can fire 700 rounds per minute.
The SMG, which is currently undergoing field trials that are expected to be completed between April and June, is the third element of the 5.56 mm INSAS (Indian Small Arms System) family that DRDO has developed. The other two are an assault rifle and a carbine variant.
The DRDO SMG’s closest competitor is the Israeli Tavour assault rifle that is already in use with the Indian Army’s Special Forces.
- DRDO's UAVs, new weapons systems to fight Maoists - Feb 18, 2010
- Defence expo in March 2012 - Oct 10, 2011
- Security firms show off their wares in Mexico - Apr 14, 2011
- South Africa focuses on paramilitary forces for arms, equipment sales - Feb 18, 2010
- Parliament panel seeks upgrading of body armour for forces - May 10, 2010
- 'Bullet-proof jackets can't protect from powerful weapons' - Apr 01, 2010
- Asia's largest defence exhibition kicks off Thursday - Mar 28, 2012
- DRDO offers weapons, UAVs to police to fight extremists - Feb 17, 2010
- New bullet-proof jackets for paramilitary forces by June - Mar 21, 2010
- Railway security alarmingly inadequate: Parliamentary panel - Aug 27, 2010
- Now 'Dirty Harry' bullet to kill Taliban - Aug 15, 2010
- Malaysia to purchase, re-sell US weapons - Mar 29, 2011
- UK military scientists develop "Dirty Harry" bullet for Brit troops to fight Taliban in Afghanistan - Aug 15, 2010
- 9 die in shootout in Mexico - Feb 11, 2011
- Indian Navy commandos to be armed with Israeli rifles - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: ammunition, assault rifle, bullet proof jackets, carbine, close combat, competitor, defence research, development organization, drdo, element, exhibition, indian army, laser sight, machinegun, militants, New Delhi, research and development, smg, special forces, terror