New simulators for training air force pilotsMay 9th, 2012 - 7:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 9 (IANS) The Indian Air Force (IAF) is acquiring simulators to help its rookie pilots learn the art of flying, parliament was informed Wednesday.
The IAF has already procured four simulators for its Hawk advanced jet trainer aircraft and a contract for four more has also been signed Defence Minister A.K. Antony told the Rajya Sabha.
He also noted that eight simulators of the intermediate jet trainer had been contracted for.
The IAF is currently training its rookie pilots on Kiran jet trainers after its entire fleet of piston-engined trainers was grounded following a series of crashes that claimed several lives of pilots and trainees.
It also has a fleet of Hawks to provide stage-III flying trainer to the pilots before they move onto flying supersonic combat jets such as MiG-21s.
The IAF is in the process of signing a contract for 75 basic trainers as a replacement for the piston-engined trainers. The Swiss Pilatus has been chosen as the winner of the contract for supplying PC-7 basic trainer aircraft.
- Accident-prone MiG-21 to be flown only by experienced pilots: IAF - Sep 01, 2011
- MiG crashes due to pilots' inexperience: IAF chief - Oct 08, 2011
- India to buy 20 more Hawk jets for aerobatics team - Sep 14, 2012
- HPT-32 trainer claimed lives of 23 pilots: IAF chief - Oct 03, 2011
- 123 Hawk trainers to be delivered by 2016: Antony - Aug 17, 2011
- HPT-32 trainer aircraft flies into the sunset - Oct 19, 2011
- MiG-21 crashes in Punjab, pilot safe - Sep 06, 2011
- India signs $640-mn deal for 75 Pilatus trainers - May 24, 2012
- IAF awaits cabinet nod to buy Pilatus trainer - Nov 18, 2011
- India clears $600-mn deal for air force trainers - May 10, 2012
- Surya Kiran aerobatics team to take to skies again - Oct 08, 2011
- IAF has lost 999 planes in crashes since 1970 - Aug 03, 2011
- IAF shortlists Swiss aircraft for training rookie pilots - Jun 16, 2011
- IAF Mirage jet crashes, fleet grounded temporarily (Third Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Yet another MiG-21 crashes, pilot bails out - Oct 07, 2011
Tags: air force pilots, antony, art of flying, combat jets, crashes, defence minister, fleet, hawk, hawks, iaf, indian air force, intermediate jet, jet trainer aircraft, jet trainers, New Delhi, pilatus, piston, rajya sabha, simulators, stage iii