New portal to link India’s farm sector with industryAugust 11th, 2010 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) A new e-portal serving as a one stop information source for all stakeholders of the Indian food industry was launched here Wednesday.
Food Processing Industries Minister Subodh Kant Sahai inaugurated the new portal, eFreshindia.com.
“We are still wasting Rs30,000 crore (Rs.300 billion) worth of agriculture produce every year and that is because farmers do not have acccess to information besides lack of infrastructure, cold storage chain and links with industry,” he said.
Lauding the initiative to launch the portal, the minister urged the people behind it to approach the farmers first and fill their information needs, rather than of the big retailers.
The portal has been developed and operationalised by IL&FS Education and Technology Services (IL&FSETS). eFresh.com BV of the Netherlands has given the linkage to the interantional portal, eFresh.com.
Later, interacting with the media, the minister said the information on weather and seasonal agricultural crops that the new portal would provide would help farmers go for multiple cropping.
Joost Van Odjik, managing director of eFresh.com BV, said India has one of the largest food baskets in the world.
“India has to play a pivotal role in world food production,” he added.
The portal will link input suppliers and service providers with the primary food producers or farmers and then with transporters, packaging and storage facilities, food processing units, wholesalers and retailers right up to the family dining table.
The information will be available in English, Hindi, Telugu and Marathi, and will later be in all other regional languages.
- UKIBC in talks with Indian corporates to train staff - Sep 12, 2011
- UAE launches e-portal - May 26, 2011
- Punjab seeks PM's intervention on food grain storage - Apr 06, 2011
- Punjab rues inaction on increasing food grain storage - Jul 16, 2011
- Pakistani fashion just a click away - Aug 17, 2012
- Need to integrate agriculture with other sectors: President - Nov 09, 2011
- Wal-Mart to target 35,000 Indian farmers for agri-business supply chain by 2015 - Oct 26, 2010
- Organic fertilisers cut input costs, raise crops' life - Feb 25, 2012
- Jayalalithaa rehuffles cabinet, drops a minister - Jul 03, 2011
- Bhupathi goes online to sell sports merchandise - May 25, 2012
- Amazon to launch a retail store - Feb 07, 2012
- India should open retail to spur 'Ever-Green Revolution': US biz - Nov 03, 2010
- India's first bamboo park in Tripura - Apr 06, 2011
- Intensive agriculture sustainable, ecologically more viable to solve food security concerns - Mar 03, 2011
- Bumper potato crop nightmare for Agra farmers - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: agricultural crops, cold storage, crore, dining table, english hindi, farm sector, food baskets, food processing industries, food producers, indian food industry, industries minister, information source, input suppliers, marathi, pivotal role, processing units, regional languages, storage facilities, subodh, world food production