‘New Pakistan trade policy to double India-Pakistan trade’July 24th, 2008 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) The volume of trade between India and Pakistan is likely to double following the trade policy announced by Pakistan recently which increases the number of items that Pakistan can import from India, said Tariq Sayeed, president, Saarc Chambers of Commerce and Industry, here Thursday. “I expect the trade figures to jump from $2 billion to $4 billion due to the trade policy,” Sayeed told IANS. He is currently in India to attend a conference on south Asian economic integration.
Referring to the domestic criticism from certain quarters that the trade policy was “pro-India”, Sayeed said the detractors had not read the provisions properly. “The policy specifically asks investors to set up manufacturing units in Pakistan”.
For the first time, Pakistan has invited direct investment from India in the manufacture of CNG buses. It also allowed test import of ten-year-old CNG buses from Indian companies, who had committed to opening a manufacturing facility in Pakistan, he said.
Besides, Pakistan had also increased the number of importable items from India by 136, including machinery for mining, cement bulkers and academic and reference books, Sayeed said.
- Political push can see India-Pakistan trade boom - Apr 08, 2012
- Pakistan allows more imports from India - Nov 21, 2011
- India, Pakistan trade can reach $10 bn by 2015: CII - Feb 09, 2012
- Myanmar foreign trade to grow by 30 percent - Feb 13, 2012
- South Asia to gain when Pakistan frees trade with India: Chamber head - Mar 21, 2012
- India, Pakistan must remove barriers to boost trade: Ficci - Feb 10, 2012
- Pakistan moves for 'negative list' trade regime with India - Oct 05, 2011
- 'Small negative list can take India-Pakistan trade to $6 bn' - Dec 16, 2011
- Afghanistan keen to trade with India via Wagah-Attari border - Jul 01, 2012
- India to build stronger trade, economic ties with Brazil: Anand Sharma - Mar 08, 2011
- Pakistan expands list of products for trade with India - Sep 14, 2011
- Need concrete measures from Pakistan on trade: Anand Sharma - Feb 12, 2012
- India unveils duty cuts for SAARC LDCs, says let's trust each other - Nov 10, 2011
- India-Peru to enhance economic cooperation: Anand Sharma - Jan 17, 2011
- Indian newsprint could help Pakistani dailies become cheaper - May 03, 2012
Tags: bulkers, cement, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, cng buses, detractors, economic integration, india and pakistan, india pakistan, investors, New Delhi, pakistan trade, provisions, quarters, reference books, time pakistan