‘New Karnataka naval base won’t eat into Goa operations’September 3rd, 2011 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Sep 3 (IANS) The newly-developed naval base INS Kadamba in Karnataka, a short distance from Goa, will not make the naval bases in Goa, especially INS Hansa, redundant, a senior Indian Navy official said Saturday.
Speaking to reporters, commodore Ravneet Singh said no military assets from INS Hansa would be moved across the border to supplement INS Kadamba.
?We would continue doing the same thing which we have been doing. There will be no shifting of assets from this base. (INS) Hansa will remain Hansa,? he said.
INS Kadamba, a massive naval project which was commissioned in 2005, was built as part of `Project Seabird? which was aimed at beefing up India?s maritime defences along the south western coastline. It is located in Karwar district of Karnataka, a few km from Goa’s southern border.
INS Hansa, a major naval base, was first conceived in 1961 at Sulur, near Coimbatore and was later shifted to Goa in 1964, three years after the Indian armed forces liberated Goa.
Singh said INS Hansa was a key player as far as providing logistics to anti-piracy operations was concerned.
?IL-38 SD helps in tracking down the submarine and suspected ships in the Arabian Sea right up to African coast,? Singh said.
?INS Hansa also handles 30 to 45 civil flight arrivals every day. We have had a total of 12,440 civil flights and military 7,000 hours flying,? Singh said, adding that the Navy-run Goa airport at Dabolim, 35 km from here, had the record of highest departures of any civilian flights from the country.
- Training of fresh pilots puts Sagar Pawan shows on hold - Sep 03, 2011
- Dabolim airport will not be shut for civilians: Parrikar - Jul 19, 2012
- Antony to commission modernised Goa Shipyard Saturday - May 19, 2011
- Goa MP accuses navy of bid to grab islands - Sep 25, 2010
- Goa airport runway closed for two hours after fuel spill - Oct 24, 2010
- Indian-made fighter plane Tejas clocks fastest speed - Dec 08, 2009
- Navy's attempts to acquire islands spark protests in Goa - Sep 29, 2010
- India test flies naval variant of LCA (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- US Navy operations chief in India - Apr 23, 2012
- Goa airport runway cut down for five hours a day - Apr 12, 2011
- Navy warns of fighter planes' sonic booms in Goa - Sep 07, 2010
- Navy awaits nod to use Kolkata airfield - Dec 02, 2011
- Navy illegally occupying land in Goa, says Congress MP - Jan 26, 2011
- Pilots part of Sagar Pawan aerobatic team - Mar 03, 2010
- Cabinet approves new international airport for Goa - Jun 10, 2010
Tags: arabian sea, civil flight, civilian flights, coimbatore, commodore, defences, departures, flight arrivals, goa, hansa, indian armed forces, indian navy, ins, karnataka, military assets, naval bases, navy official, navy run, seabird, western coastline